Running Away from Home

Same day

7:00 PM

Richmond is near to his apartment.

He saw Rita appear to be waiting for him.

Rita: So did she say yes Richmond?

Richmond: She agreed of course. I'll be going out with her along with her friends of course tomorrow to buy a prom or in case Carrie's case materials that she is going to make.

Rita: That makes sense Carrie likes to sew and have excellent grades on it before.

Before he enters the room Dylan came in.

Dylan: So your Rita Desjardin right?

Rita: Yes. And you are?

Dylan: Dylan Rhodes, nice to meet you.

He shakes Rita's hand.

Rita: So you're one of the uncles Richmond mentioned?

Dylan: Yep. I would like to meet Carrie as you have spoken of.

Richmond: Be my guest.

Before they can go they heard thunder rumbling outside.

Dylan: Well that can't be good.

Richmond: Hopefully it doesn't do anything bad.

He felt a bad sign of the upcoming storm as they enter their room.

________________________________________________________________________

Night

White residence

Carrie is currently having dinner with her mother, still contemplating whether she would have to say it or not.

She fears the worst of how her mother would react, still she is optimistic to talk to her.

Carrie: Momma, before you say anything else...I've been asked to prom. Momma, I've been asked to prom.

She said again softly, waiting for her mother to respond to her.

Margaret: Oh God, why?

As a flash of lightning lit up the sky in the distance followed by the rumbling of thunder.

Carrie: It's gonna be at the school in a little over three weeks from now and he's very nice. He'll come and meet you and he's promised to have me home by PM.

Carrie is hoping to convince her mother to let her go to prom.

Margaret stared at her, with her eyes emotionless.

Margaret: No, no, no, no. (Shook her head) It's the teacher who called wasn't it?

Carrie: I've already accepted the invitation! I know it scares you...it scares me too. The other kids at school...they think I'm weird and I don't want to be. I want to try and be a whole different person...before it's too late.

She stepped closer to her mother as she spoke. When she was right in front of her, Margaret smiled sadly and placed her hands on Carrie's cheeks. Carrie smiled, thinking she had finally got through to her mother.

Margaret: (Whispers) He'll hurt you.

Carrie's smile dropped and she quickly took her mother's hands off her face while she backed away slightly.

Carrie: No momma, there are bad people out there in the world...but not Richmond, he's good. You'll like Richmond. He's a very nice boy.

Carrie shook her head in denial of her mother's words.