Suspicions

As the sun set and the air grew colder, Becky and Damian walked along the sidewalk in silence, too preoccupied with their thoughts to start a conversation.

The atmosphere between them was thick, the tension from their earlier predicament still hanging around.

They passed a payphone and Becky paused, glancing at it then at Damian, wondering if she should call her driver to take her home or join him back at school.

If this were a normal situation, she would choose to go home with no hesitation.

But with what went down only a few minutes ago, she wasn't sure whether she should talk to Damian or leave, allowing the both of them to be with their own thoughts.

Noticing that the brunette had been left behind, the scion turned around, wondering why she stopped.

"Oi, what are you standing around for?" He shoved his hands in the pockets of his coat, holding a plastic card that he placed inside in between his cold fingers.

"Hurry up."

With a sigh, she walked up to him, deciding to tag along wherever he was headed.

"Where are we going?" She asked when they started walking again.

"The school library. Wanna join?" He turned to her, realizing he never actually asked if she was okay in going with him.

She let out another sigh.

"Would I be with you right now if I didn't want to?" She stated rhetorically.

"Hm."

"Come on, let's go!" She ran up to the crosswalk, walking across the road as fast as she could before any vehicle could arrive.

Damian followed her, jogging instead to catch up.

____________

"What are we looking for again?" Becky asked as she scanned the rows of books that lined the shelf.

"Something about government organizations." Damian answered, eyes skimming over the spines in which the titles were written.

"What makes you think that this is related to the government?" The brunette shot him a look, gesturing to the ID card she was holding in her hand.

They never really returned it. They sort of forgot about it in the heat of their argument and by the time they had the intention of giving it back, Anya had turned away, most likely forgetting about it as well.

"It doesn't sound like a normal syndicate. By the looks of it, it's not just any institution." Damian explained, bending down to search the lower shelves.

Becky inspected the card once again, figuring that her companion was indeed correct.

The name looked and sounded too formal for a regular group.

"By the looks of it, it's a private organization. One that requires Anya to work."

"What do you mean?"

Standing back to full height, Damian took the card from her, holding it out for both of them to see.

"It says here Anya is in the department of operatives."

Becky nodded, understanding what he means to say.

"An operative can be considered as an agent, if I'm not mistaken." She states, more questions running through her head.

"You are correct. Apparently she also has an alias. Starlight, as the ID says."

Becky tries to fight a smile upon remembering what the pinkette called herself after receiving her very first Stella back when they were 6.