CHAPTER:33

AUTHOR'S POV

Chandarva

The tunnel was dark and damp, with the cold air hanging heavy around them. The only source of light came from the torches that Aparajita, Ahana, Sudhir, and Meenakshi held in their hands, casting flickering shadows on the walls of the narrow passage. The walls, lined with old bricks, seemed to close in on them as they walked deeper into the unknown.

Aparajita led the way, her mind racing with thoughts of what they might find at the end of this mysterious tunnel. Ahana was right behind her, her eyes scanning the walls for any signs of danger. Meenakshi and Sudhir followed closely, both trying to stay calm despite the eerie atmosphere surrounding them.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Ahana asked, her voice echoing softly in the narrow space.

"It's the only way," Aparajita replied firmly, though a sliver of doubt crept into her mind. "We need to find out where this tunnel leads and what secrets it holds."

Sudhir, who had been silent for most of the journey, suddenly stopped in his tracks. "Wait," he said, his voice tinged with concern. "Did anyone else hear that?"

The group froze, listening intently. A faint hissing sound echoed through the tunnel, growing louder with each passing second.

"Is that… a snake?" Meenakshi whispered, her voice trembling.

Before anyone could react, the hissing grew louder, and a small snake slithered out from the darkness, its eyes glinting in the torchlight. Meenakshi let out a gasp, stepping back in fear. The snake, disturbed by their presence, lunged at her, its fangs bared.

"Watch out!" Sudhir yelled, grabbing Meenakshi and pulling her away just in time. The snake missed its target and quickly disappeared back into the shadows.

Meenakshi clutched her chest, breathing heavily. "That was too close," she murmured, trying to steady herself.

"Are you okay?" Aparajita asked, concern etched on her face.

Meenakshi nodded, though her hands were still shaking. "I’m fine. Let’s keep moving."

As they continued, the air grew thicker, and the walls of the tunnel seemed to narrow even more. Every step they took felt heavier, as if the tunnel itself was resisting their presence.

Suddenly, Meenakshi started coughing, her breath coming out in ragged gasps. "I... I can’t breathe," she managed to choke out, her face pale.

"It’s her asthma," Sudhir said urgently, immediately stopping to help his daughter. "We need to get her out of here!"

Ahana rummaged through her bag, pulling out an inhaler and handing it to Meenakshi. "Here, use this," she said, her voice laced with worry.

Meenakshi took a deep breath through the inhaler, her breathing gradually calming down. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice still weak.

"We can’t stop now," Aparajita said, trying to keep the group focused. "We’re close. We have to keep going."

With Meenakshi’s breathing stabilized, they continued their journey. The tunnel seemed endless, twisting and turning with no clear direction. Every so often, they would come across a small alcove or a dead end, but there was nothing significant to be found.

"This tunnel must lead somewhere important," Ahana said, her voice filled with determination. "We just have to find the right way."

After what felt like hours, they finally reached the end of the tunnel. A large wooden door stood in front of them, its surface worn and covered in dust. The door was old and heavy, with rusted iron hinges holding it in place.