Chapter 56

[Sheriff]

898, 899, 900.

900 seconds. What was that, 15 minutes? He wasn't exactly expecting Hank to be quick at whatever he was doing, but he wanted some sign that he was coming back.

As much as he didn't like Hank, he also didn't like being alone in the cold.

For now, he'd retreated to the corner where the mattresses were stacked up. He'd sandwiched himself between two in an attempt to keep a little warmer. But with snow actively rushing in, getting warm was a little difficult.

Finally, over the wind he heard movement. He perked up, trying to decide if he'd imagined it or not.

Then without warning, a figure was thrown into the cellar, landing with a hard thud against the floor. Sheriff flinched. What was this?

The figure quickly crawled himself into a corner. Even from the other side of the cellar, Sheriff could tell his eyes were wide with terror as he stared at the doors.

Then, a dark-clad figure descended the stairs, closing the doors behind him. Hank was back.

Part of him was thankful. The other part was horrified.

The other guy, a grunt by the looks of it, backed himself further into the corner, despite having nowhere else to go.

Once Hank reached the bottom of the stairs, he just stood and stared at the grunt for a bit. Everything was still. The only sound was the uneven breathing of the grunt.

Then, just as Sheriff considered asking what was happening, Hank approached the grunt.

The grunt immediately began flattening himself against the wall, "no, no, no, please!"

Hank scooped the grunt up by his collar. Despite being in his grasp, the grunt still kicked his legs out in an attempt to back himself away.

"The storm." Hank spoke slowly. "How does it work?"

The grunt blinked rapidly, "I-I don't know! I-"

Hank slammed him back against the wall and reached for something on his belt. Sheriff couldn't see it from where he was, but it made the unmistakable click of a gun.

"How does it work?" Hank repeated, a little more force in his voice.

The grunt's breathing grew more rapid as he shook his head, "please, I don't know!"

As the scenario sunk in, Sheriff realised two things.

First, that this was Hank, and he wasn't bluffing. He was actually going to shoot this guy given the chance.

Second, he didn't want this guy to die for no reason. Based on what he knew so far, this grunt was probably just an innocent.

"Wait, wait, wait!" The grunt started up again, kicking out in an attempt to get away as Hank brought his hand with the gun up.

"Hank, wait!" Sheriff found himself on his feet. It took him a second to register that he was speaking. "We don't have to shoot him."

Hank paused, and he could see a deep exhale based on how his shoulders dropped. "Why."

"Because, he..." Sheriff paused. His stomach twisted as he noticed the grunt watching him desperately. "He might know something."

Hank just turned his head, giving Sheriff an 'are you kidding me?' look.

"Other than, you know..." Sheriff fought for reasoning, "I mean..."

Hank looked at Sheriff boredly, before turning back to the grunt. The grunt began struggling immediately as Hank turned on him.