Chapter 53

[Hank]

The cold thing was fun at first. Especially with the new discoveries he made by looking back into his past. But now, he was getting a little sick of it.

Nothing was happening. Occasionally he'd catch some fragments of conversation between Sanford and Sheriff. And god knows what happened to Deimos. He usually wasn't so quiet.

Other than that, there was nothing for him to do except think. But even that had gone sour.

Now it was all 'oh, boohoo, I'm a horrible person now' and 'How am I ever going to live a normal life again?'.

Hank already knew he was horrible person. As for the normal life, he'd given up hopes of that years ago. Who knew how some other part of him hadn't realised until now. Despite that it still managed to make him feel uneasy.

That some part of him had also managed to crawl into his conscience. It was like a fly buzzing around in his head, questioning and doubting every thought and decision he'd ever made. It was annoying, to say the least.

Even worse, it made him feel all kinds of weird things. Apparently he was supposed to know these feelings. They were familiar, at least. But he didn't have time for them. Once he was better, he had other things to get back to. He couldn't afford to be distracted by his oh so precious feelings.

"Hank." The sudden voice caught him off guard. How unusual.

2B was next to the bed. He'd wrapped himself in blankets, too, and looked almost as ridiculous as Hank felt.

Hank grumbled and looked away. Yes, he was bored, but he'd rather that over one of 2B's lectures.

"Stop acting like a child and look at me." Great. Another thing he'd add onto his lecture. What next? That Hank looked too pathetic all wrapped up in blanket? That he should've recovered by now?

Still, Hank looked over. He was no child, and refused to be even insinuated to be on the same level as one. Still, he glared at 2B.

2B was unfazed, as he was by most things. It was nice in most cases. Sometimes it felt like the other two... Three now, overreacted often. It was nice having someone likeminded when it came to their job.

However, it was not nice when Hank was giving him a clear 'fuck off' message, and he didn't take it.

2B sighed, and for a moment his seriousness dropped, before he looked at Hank again.

"I apologise for being brash about your injuries. While it was stupid of you to fight Tricky, I imagine being immobile for as long as you have would have gotten that through to you." Was 2B... Apologising?

Well, now that just made Hank vaguely worried. Was 2B expecting them all to die here? Was this him clearing his conscience before then?

2B must've caught on to his suspicious glare, because he sighed before elaborating.

"I'm only making sure you understand that I still respect you. I can't have you running off because you've decided we're not worth your while."

Oh. So this was him clearing the air just before Hank could do anything. How wonderful.

Oddly, this made him feel less respected. Did 2B expect Hank to forgive him? For what, an apology that he openly admitted was just to keep Hank in line?

Although he tried not to show it, he made a mental note of that. Of course, Hank was planning how to leave now.

Should it involve explosions and fireworks in a big display of 'fuck you'? Or should he take the simple route and just sneak off in the dead of night?