V

Warmth of Embodiment

The following days brought a subtle change in the air of the bakery, one that only North and I seemed to notice. The afternoon sun streamed through the windows, the scent of fresh bread and pastries filled the air, and the customers came and went with their usual orders.

But between us? Something had shifted.

I find myself looking forward to his visits more than ever. I would catch myself glancing at the door, with a heart giving a little leap whenever he walked in, his sketchbook tucked under his arm, a small smile on his lips as our eyes meet.

It was a routine that have always been comforting, but now it held a new excitement, an anticipation that makes me feel a little breathless.

One afternoon, as the bakery settled into its usual calm, North arrived later than usual.

I noticed immediately, eyes flicking to the clock on the wall. I had grown so accustomed to the rhythm of his visits that his absence had unsettled me, leaving a small, unspoken worry in the back of my mind.

I wonder what happened, I hope everything is all right.

But when the door finally opened, and he step inside, the tension in my chest eased. He looked slightly disheveled, his hair tousled as if he had been caught in a breeze, his eyes a little more tired than usual. But when he saw me, his expression softened, and he gave me a small, reassuring nod.

How adorable he is.

I smiled at him. "Hey," I nodded back.

"Sorry I'm late," he said as he approached the counter. "Had a bit of a rough morning."

I smiled, though I couldn't shake the concern that tug me earlier. "No need to apologize. I'm just glad you're here."

North hesitated for a moment, then leaned slightly on the counter, his voice quieter than usual. "Mind if I stay a little longer today? I could use a place to unwind."

"Of course," I replied without hesitation. "Stay as long as you need."

Or should I say. . . stay with m e as long as you want rather.

He offered me a grateful smile before retreating to his usual table by the window. I watched him settle in; his movements slower, more deliberate than usual. There is a heaviness in his demeanor that I haven't seen before, and it made me want to do something—anything—to ease whatever burden he was carrying.