XXVI

Morning Whispers

I wake up slowly, the gentle rays of the morning sun filtering through the curtains and casting a warm glow over the room. As my eyes flutter open, I find myself nestled under the covers, feeling a comforting weight beside me.

My heart skips a beat as I realize that North is lying next to me, his presence a soothing balm to my soul.

North stirs beside me, his breath warm against my skin. I turn my head slightly, catching sight of his peaceful expression as he sleeps. A soft smile spreads across my face, and I feel a deep sense of contentment. It's been so long since we've shared a morning like this, and it feels both comforting and surreal.

As if sensing my gaze, North's eyes flutter open, and he smiles at me with a tenderness that makes my heart ache with affection. He leans in and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead, then another to my cheek. I close my eyes, savoring the warmth of his touch.

"Good morning," he murmurs, his voice a soft whisper.

I open my eyes and look into his, feeling a surge of emotion. "Good morning," I reply, my voice barely audible.

North's smile widens as he carefully shifts closer, placing his hand on my tummy with a gentle touch. "I wanted to do something special," he says softly. "I've been waiting for this moment."

He starts to plant soft kisses on my belly, his lips tender against my skin. I can't help but laugh softly, feeling the tickling sensation of his kisses. The baby inside me seems to respond, a gentle fluttering reminding me of the life growing within.

North talks to the baby with a sweet, affectionate tone. "Good morning, little one," he says, his voice full of warmth. "I'm your daddy, and I'm so happy to finally be able to be here with you and your mommy."

I watch him, my heart swelling with love and gratitude. Seeing North like this, so caring and devoted, fills me with hope for the future. It's a side of him I've missed and longed to see more of.

He continues to speak softly, sharing his hopes and dreams for our little family. "We've got so many plans for you," he says. "I can't wait to watch you grow and be a part of your life. I promise to do my best to be a good father and to support your mommy every step of the way."

I reach out and place my hand over his, feeling the warmth of his touch on my belly. "Thank you," I say softly. "It means so much to me to see you so committed and loving."

North looks up at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of love and determination. "I know we've had our share of challenges, but I want you to know that I'm here for you and for our baby. I love you."