XIV

Lover

Winter is settling in, and the bakery has taken on a cozy, festive feel. The soft glow of string lights and the rich aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg fill the air. I'm bustling around the kitchen, preparing for the holiday baking class I'm hosting.

The idea of sharing my love for baking with the community has me excited, and North has been incredible—helping with promotional materials and even volunteering to assist during the class.

As the first participants start arriving, the bakery fills with lively chatter and anticipation. I greet each guest with a warm smile, my heart swelling with pride as I see the joy on their faces. North stands off to the side, observing with a look of admiration in his eyes.

"You're doing an amazing job," North says, approaching me during a brief break. His voice is warm, filled with affection as he watches me organize ingredients and supplies. "Everyone seems really engaged."

I can't help but beam at him, feeling my cheeks warm from both the bakery's heat and his compliment. "Thank you. It's been a lot of work, but seeing everyone enjoying the class makes it all worth it."

North steps closer, his gaze lingering on me with a playful twinkle. "Well, if you keep dazzling everyone with your skills, you might just make me jealous of all these bakers-in-training."

I laugh, shaking my head. "Oh, come on. You know I'm just trying to spread the love for baking."

He leans against the counter, watching me with a smirk. "I think you're spreading a little something else—charm, maybe? Or is it just the sugar?"

"Probably a mix of both," I reply, catching his playful tone. "But I have to admit, having you here makes everything even better."

North raises an eyebrow, his smile widening. "Is that so? What do I get for being your supportive sidekick?"

I give him a teasing look. "Well, you might earn yourself a special reward if you keep up the good work."

"Oh? And what kind of reward are we talking about?" he asks, leaning in closer.

I feel my pulse quicken as I meet his gaze. "Maybe give me a private baking lesson, or perhaps a special batch of cookies. It all depends on how well you behave."

North chuckles, his eyes gleaming with mischief. "Well, I'll have to be on my best behavior then."