X

Newly Flourished Sunrises

With North now in Paris, I throw myself into the rhythm of my daily life at the bakery. The days are busy, filled with the comforting routine of kneading dough, preparing pastries, and serving my loyal customers.

Each task, though fulfilling, holds a tinge of bittersweetness as I often find myself thinking of North and our conversations, imagining what he might be doing in the city of lights.

The bakery has become my sanctuary, a place where I channel my emotions and find solace. But even amidst the familiar comforts of my daily life, I can't escape the quiet ache of missing him. Each morning, I look at the locket we created together, the little tokens inside a constant reminder of our connection.

Ophelia has been a tremendous support during this time, helping me with the daily operations and providing a listening ear whenever I need to talk about North. Our friendship has grown even closer, and Ophelia's presence is a comforting constant in my life.

One particularly busy afternoon, as I work on a fresh batch of croissants, the bell above the bakery door jingles, signaling a new customer. I glance up, expecting to see a regular patron, but my heart skips a beat when I see who has entered.

It's Daniel, an old friend from art school who recently moved back to the city after a few years abroad. We lost touch over the years, but his familiar face brings a wave of nostalgia.

"Aurelia!" Daniel calls out, his voice filled with enthusiasm. "It's been too long!"

I wipe my hands on my apron and smile, stepping out from behind the counter to greet him. "Daniel! What a surprise! It's so good to see you."

We hug, and I feel a sense of warmth at this unexpected reunion. "I didn't know you were back in town," I chuckled, leading him to a table where we can catch up.

"Just arrived a few days ago," Daniel explains, taking a seat. "I heard about your bakery and had to come see it for myself. It's even more charming than I imagined. I am proud of what you have achieved."

"Thank you," I say, my cheeks flushing with pride. "It's been a labor of love, for sure. How have you been? What's new with you?"

As we chat, I learn that Daniel has returned to pursue his passion for teaching art, taking a position at a local college. His excitement about his new role is palpable, and I find myself genuinely happy for him.

Daniel's visit is a welcome distraction, and we spend hours reminiscing about our time at art school, sharing stories and laughter. When it's time for him to leave, he promises to return soon.