XI

Taste of Paris

The late afternoon light filters softly through the bakery's front window as I prepare for another busy day. The scent of freshly baked bread and pastries fills the air, but my thoughts are elsewhere, drifting across the miles to Paris.

It's been a few weeks since North left, and while I've settled into a new rhythm at the bakery, I still find myself eagerly awaiting his calls.

Today, as I'm arranging croissants in the display case, my phone chimes with a video call notification. I glance at the screen and see North's name flashing. I set aside the pastries and quickly answer the call, my heart lifting as his face appears.

"Hey," I say, my smile spreading across my face. "How's Paris treating you today?"

North grins, and I can see the vibrant city behind him. "Hi, Aurelia! Paris is incredible, but I miss you. Today was amazing, though—spent the day painting along the Seine. It's such a different vibe from what I'm used to."

I lean closer to the screen, intrigued. "Painting along the Seine? That sounds wonderful! I wish I could be there to see it."

North's eyes twinkle with excitement. "It's beautiful. The light on the water is so different from what we have back home. I've been working on a series of pieces capturing the city's ambiance. I think you'd love them."

I can almost picture him there, brush in hand, surrounded by the splendor of Paris. "I can't wait to see them. It sounds like you're really finding inspiration."

North nods, then his expression shifts to something more contemplative. "Actually, I was thinking about you today. I tried to make some of your famous muffin—well, sort of."

I laugh, the sound of it filling the quiet bakery. "Oh really? How did that go?"

He chuckles, a bit sheepish. "Let's just say they're not quite bakery-perfect. I might need to schedule a baking lesson when I get back."