XXV

A Serenade for Reconciliation

North's POV

The evening sky is painted with hues of pink and gold as I stand outside Aurelia's house, a sense of nervous anticipation gripping me. I've decided to make one last grand gesture to show her how much she means to me. I've spent the day practicing a song that I hope will convey my deepest feelings and my desire to make things right between us.

I take a deep breath and strum my guitar gently, testing the notes to ensure everything is in tune. I've chosen "Grow Old With You" by Adam Sandler, a song that expresses the commitment and love I want to convey.

As I stand on the sidewalk, I glance up at the house, hoping that Aurelia will hear me and come outside.

With a mix of determination and nerves, I begin to sing, my voice carrying softly but clearly into the cool evening air. The melody of the song fills the space between us, and I focus on each word, pouring my heart into the performance.

"I wanna make you smile, whenever you're sad. . . carry you around when your arthritis is bad. . . all I wanna do. . . is grow old with you."

I watch the window of Aurelia's house, hoping to see a sign that she's listening. As I continue to sing, I can see the curtains move slightly, and my heart skips a beat.

My baby is listening.

"I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches. . . build you a fire if the furnace breaks. . . so it could be so nice. . . growing old with you."

The song continues, and I put all my emotion into each note, hoping that my sincerity will reach her. The words are a promise of the future I want to build with her, a future where I'm there for her through thick and thin.

"I wanna grow old with you. . . I wanna grow old with you."

As I finish the song, the final notes lingering in the air, I look up at the house with a hopeful gaze. The street is quiet except for the distant sounds of the city, and the only light is the soft glow from the windows of Aurelia's home.

For a moment, there is silence.

Then, the front door of the house creaks open, and Aurelia steps outside, her face illuminated by the soft light from inside. She looks at me with a mixture of surprise and emotion, her eyes glistening with unshed tears.