XII

Whisk of Anticipation

The sun rises over the bakery, casting a warm, golden light through the window.

I'm already up, preparing for the day's work, but today feels different. There's a palpable sense of anticipation in the air. With North's return just around the corner, I find myself daydreaming about the moment we'll finally be reunited.

Ophelia, as always, is a steady presence, helping me with the morning preparations. We chat about everything from new pastry ideas to local events, but my mind keeps drifting back to North.

"Big day tomorrow?" Ophelia asks, catching my distracted gaze.

I nod, a smile tugging at my lips. "Yes, North's flight is coming in tomorrow. I can hardly believe it!"

Ophelia grins. "That's wonderful! I'm sure you're both excited. Anything special planned for his return?"

I think for a moment. "I'm hoping to surprise him with a special batch of pastries and maybe a small celebration here at the bakery. It feels like the perfect way to welcome my baby back."

Ophelia helps me with the final preparations for the day, and the bakery fills with the delightful aroma of fresh bread and pastries. Despite the flurry of activity, I keep glancing at the clock, counting down the hours until I can finally see North again.

As the afternoon shifts into evening, I wrap up my work and head home, my excitement bubbling over.

I spend the evening preparing for North's arrival—setting up a cozy corner with candles, flowers, and a selection of his favorite pastries. The idea is to create a warm and welcoming space for him to unwind after his long journey.

Finally, the time arrives. I make my way to the airport, my heart pounding with anticipation.

The terminal is bustling with travelers, but I'm focused on the arrivals gate. As I wait, I catch myself replaying the moments we've shared over the past few months—the video calls, the messages, the dreams of this very moment.

After what feels like an e t e r n i t y, I spot North emerging from the crowd.

He looks tired but exhilarated, his eyes scanning the crowd until they find me. A wide smile spreads across his face as he sees me, and I feel an overwhelming rush of emotion.