XVI

Ray of Sunshine

I wake up to the soft glow of early morning sunlight filtering through the curtains, casting a warm, golden hue across the room. The first thing I notice is the comforting weight of North's arm draped over me, his hand resting gently on my waist.

For a moment, I still lie, savoring the quiet intimacy of this moment. The rhythm of his breathing is steady, and I can feel the warmth r a d i a t i n g from his body, grounding me in the present.

Slowly, I turn my head to look at him, and my heart skips a beat. Even in sleep, there's something so peaceful and content about him that I can't help but smile. I carefully slide out from under his arm, not wanting to wake him just yet. But as soon as I try to sit up, his arm tightens around me, pulling me back against him.

"Where do you think you're going?" he murmurs, his voice is still thick with sleep.

I chuckle softly, turning to face him. "I was going to make us breakfast," I whisper, my fingers brushing a strand of hair from his face. His eyes are still closed, but there's a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

"No. . . come lay with me and stay a little longer," he mumbles, nuzzling into the crook of my neck. His warmth is comforting, and for a brief second, I consider giving in. But the thought of the bakery waiting for me tugs at the back of my mind.

"We'll be late," I remind him gently, though my voice lacks conviction.

He sighs, finally opening his eyes to meet mine. They're soft and sleepy, and I feel a flutter in my chest at the way he looks at me, like I'm the only thing that matters in this moment. "Fine," he relents with a playful groan, releasing me. "But only because you make the best breakfast."

I laugh, slipping out of bed and heading towards the kitchen. The cool tiles under my feet contrast the warmth still lingering from the bed, and I shiver slightly as I open the cupboards, pulling out the ingredients I need.

As I start preparing the meal, I hear the quiet shuffle of North's footsteps behind me. Before I can turn around, his arms wrap around my waist, pulling me back against his chest. I let out a small gasp, more from surprise than anything else.

"You're distracting me," I say, though there's no real complaint in my tone.

"Good," he replies, his lips brushing against my ear. "I like distracting my woman."

I can feel his smile against my skin, and it sends a pleasant warmth spreading through me. I shake my head, trying to focus on whisking the eggs, but it's hard when he's so close, his presence so all-consuming.