XXVIII

A New Promise

The air is filled with a mix of excitement and apprehension as North and I arrive at my parents' house for dinner. It's been a while since we've all been together, and while I'm hopeful about the visit, there's an underlying tension that I can't ignore.

We're greeted warmly by my parents, who usher us inside with smiles and hugs. The living room is cozy, with the comforting scent of home-cooked food wafting through the air. As we settle in, I can't help but feel a mix of relief and nervousness.

My father, always the straightforward one, gives North a serious look as we sit down at the dining table. "North," he says, his tone firm yet not unkind, "I need you to know something. If you hurt Aurelia again, you'll have to deal with me."

North's face flushes slightly, but he meets my father's gaze with a steady resolve. "I understand, Sir. I know I've made mistakes, and I want to apologize for everything that's happened. I was a coward and failed to live up to the expectations I set for myself. I promise you, and Aurelia, that I have no intention of letting you down again."

My mother's expression softens, and she places a hand on my father's arm. "We appreciate your honesty, North. We just want what's best for Aurelia and our grandchild. We want to see them happy and secure."

I can see the sincerity in North's eyes as he nods. "I'm committed to making things right and being there for Aurelia and our baby. I know I have a lot to prove, but I'm ready to put in the effort."

The dinner progresses with a mix of light conversation and heartfelt moments. As we talk, the atmosphere gradually shifts from tense to more relaxed. My parents' initial reservations seem to ease as North continues to show his genuine commitment to our future.

At one point, as we're enjoying dessert, my father leans back and says with a grin, "So, North, have you thought about what kind of parent you want to be? Any ideas on how you're going to handle sleepless nights and diaper duty?"

North chuckles, looking at me with a playful glint in his eye. "I'm planning to be the best parent I can be. I'm ready for those sleepless nights and diaper duties, and I'm hoping Aurelia will help me through it all."

I laugh, feeling the tension from earlier dissipate. "Oh, he's definitely going to need my help. I have a feeling we'll be learning a lot together."

My mother joins in, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "Well, it sounds like you two are going to be lovely being a new parent of this unborn child. I'm looking forward to seeing how you both handle parenthood."

As the evening continues, the conversation shifts to lighter topics, and we find ourselves sharing laughter and stories about our future baby. We talk about potential names, nursery themes, and the excitement of becoming parents.