XVIII

Wrecked Haven
t/w: profanities

The next morning, I woke up feeling drained, the events of last night replaying in my mind. My heart aches, but there's a stubborn resolve in me now. I need to put some distance between North and myself, at least for a while, to sort through the mess of emotions that's been tearing at me.

I arrive at the bakery early, before the sun has fully risen, and get to work. The familiar routine of kneading dough, arranging pastries, and preparing for the morning rush helps to steady my nerves. But the moment the bell above the door chimes and North walks in, the fragile calm I've built starts to crack.

He looks tired, like he didn't sleep much either. His eyes find mine immediately, and there's a flicker of hope in them, as if he's waiting for me to acknowledge him, to say something that might begin to mend what's broken between us. But I can't. Not yet.

"Aurelia," he begins, his voice soft, tentative.

I don't respond. Instead, I turn my back to him, focusing on the dough I'm rolling out. The silence between us is thick with unspoken words, but I refuse to break it.

I'm not ready to forgive him, not when the hurt is still so fresh.

North hovers for a moment, then sighs and goes to the front of the bakery, preparing for customers. I can feel his eyes on me every so often, as if he's searching for a way to reach me, but I keep my focus on the task at hand, ignoring the weight of his gaze.

The morning passes in a b l u r of orders and customers, but the tension between us is palpable. I can tell North wants to talk, to fix things, but I'm too stubborn, too angry to let him in.

It isn't until the early afternoon, when the bakery starts to quiet down, that the bell above the door chimes again. I glance up, and my heart sinks as Caroline walks in, her smile bright and confident, as if she owns the place.

"Aurelia, hi!" she says cheerfully, though her eyes flick to North almost immediately.

Fake bitch.

I don't respond, instead turning back to the counter where I'm arranging a tray of pastries. I can feel the tension ratchet up another notch, and I grit my teeth, determined not to let her get under my skin.

"Pookie-bear, it's so good to see you again," Caroline says, her voice dripping with familiarity as she crosses the bakery. She moves in close, t o o close, and before I can fully process what's happening, she wraps her arms around him in a hug.