Chapter 16 - claiming the iron throne

"Deana, help me get my armor on", Daemon says calmly.

Daena gets out of the bed while Daemon hurriedly gets dressed, small clothes, tunic, pants, chain mail under his armor that Daena and one of Daemon's groomsmen helps him put on. Daena snaps on his Targaryen cloak and hands him his dragon's head helmet.

She puts on a nightdress and her silk robe on top before following him out of their chambers, their eldest son Jaehaerys opens his and his sister wife Jaehaera's bedroom door and looks out into the hallway as an armored Daemon walks past with Daena in a robe and nightdress follow after him.
"Where is father going?" Jaehaerys asks his mother.
"To King's Landing, your uncle the king is dead and your father is going to the capital to pay his respects and to claim the iron throne for us before someone has the chance to put your cousin Aerion on the throne with someone as his regent until he comes of age", Daena says, not even mentioning the possibility of her children's elder cousin Rhaenyra being the one to take the throne. "Daemon, send me a raven when it is done and the children and I will come join you in the capital with our dragons"

"Yes, my love, I will at least send for you and Winter to join me in the battle that may yet come from this", Daemon says, giving his brave wolf bride a gentle kiss before going to Caraxes.

Daemon go out to the Dragon Pit where Caraxes already has his elaborate dragon saddle on him, laying in wait for his rider. At the sound of his rider's approach, the Blood Wyrm lifts his head and looks at Daemon.

"We're needed in the capital, old boy", Daemon says lovingly before getting up in the saddle and locking himself in with the chains. "Sōvēs, Caraxes"

The Blood Wyrm takes to the sky and Daemon directs him towards the capital. Daemon flies his dragon in to the Red Keep, the dragon's heavy weight smashing the roof of the throne room to dust and rubble.

The king's hand, the scheming snake Otto Hightower stands by the throne with his young daughter Alicent, the young woman whom he tried getting Daemon to bed and wed when she'd first flowered, by his side.
"Prince Daemon", Otto says, a little surprised by his sudden appearance.
"Lord snake", Daemon says sardonically.
"Why are you here?" Otto asks.
"To pay my respects to my brother the king, and to claim my inheritance" Daemon says, giving Caraxes a couple commands and the red beast lands a few feet away from Otto, hissing at him. "I know, boy, it's tempting, isn't it? But I don't want you to become ill from eating bad meat"

Daemon approach the empty throne that for many years belonged to his brother. He sit back comfortably in the seat made from the swords of those fallen to the Conqueror.
"From this day, until my last day, I shall be your king, I demand that my coronation and that of my queen, takes place as soon as the period of mourning for my beloved brother, king Viserys, is at its end", Daemon says.

Princess Rhaenyra approaches her uncle, sitting comfortably in her father's seat, the seat she herself had expected to be seated on one day, as the daughter of the king.
"Uncle, I wish to learn your intentions", princess Rhaenyra says.
"And here I was, thinking that I made my intentions clear, even to you, niece", Daemon says.
"All I see here is my uncle stealing my throne", princess Rhaenyra says.
"Your father named me his heir, girl, in front all of the lords and ladies of the Seven Kingdoms, my brother, your father, named me his heir, not you, Daemon says with a dangerous glimmer in his eyes. "This throne never belonged to you, sweetling, and I know what desires you had, that's why your father rushed to have you wed to Laenor, and since he didn't quite trust me not to fall for your girlish tricks, he rushed to have me wed as well"
"And what are your intentions for me now that you're claiming my father's throne, uncle?" Princess Rhaenyra asks.
"To send you, Laenor and your children to Dragonstone as soon as my wife, children, dragons and servants have moved out of there" Daemon says. "I will send ravens to my wife and children to tell them to prepare to move in to the Red Keep as soon as possible"
"So your intentions really are to send me away?" Princess Rhaenyra says.
"It is, my queen would likely advise me to feed you to Caraxes as you are a rival not only to me but also to my children" Daemon says coldly and Rhaenyra knows that her uncle is being serious.
"If it really is your wish, uncle, I will do your bidding and leave for Dragonstone with my husband, children and Syrax, the children's hatchlings and Laenor's dragon Seasmoke as soon as word comes that you and your family have been moved out of there", Rhaenyra says.
"You're dismissed, niece, you have much to do, as do I", Daemon says.