Chapter 1

All afternoon Fina was distracted. Thankfully it was a slow day in the shop, and Claudia was there to help manage customers because she kept getting a rush of adrenaline whenever she thought about spending the night in Madrid with Marta.

It felt like an eternity since they had been alone together. The last time they recklessly flirted they almost got caught so it seemed normal enough that Marta had been absent for the past week, but it had left Fina a little unnerved.

Though it pained her terribly, Fina had forced herself to stop entertaining the idea of a future with Marta just a short time ago. She simply couldn't imagine a world that either of them would have been satisfied with.

Fina worried she had set her expectations too high when Marta told her about her agreement with her husband, Jamie. It immediately sent her daydreaming again. She had been harboring so many mixed emotions the past few month that landing on happiness felt precarious to say the least.

Still, she couldn't help but feel intoxicated by the idea of sharing a bed with Marta again, away from prying eyes and the constant buzz of the colony.

She was going to be able to kiss her unabashedly. Unzip the back of her dress and draw constellations with her freckles. Graze her lips on the soft valley between her hipbones.

Fina's felt her cheeks flush thinking about it and looked around the store to make sure she hadn't given herself away. There was nowhere to hide. God, she hated that they had to hide. Fina tried to brush aside the sinking feeling in her stomach and shook her head. She was going to be with Marta tonight and for now that's all that mattered.

***

As soon as she could, Fina closed the store. She and Claudia walked back to the room together gossiping about a particular customer from the afternoon who wanted a full make over but kept taking the makeup out of Fina's hand to do it herself.
"Entonces, what are you doing tonight?" Claudia asked as she started changing out of her uniform.

Fina swiveled away to grab a small suitcase.

"I think I'll visit my dad, maybe sleep there actually."

She could have just said she was going to Madrid with Marta to look at displays like she always does but Fina had a creeping feeling that Claudia was getting vaguely suspicious. It was probably all in her head, but it was too late to change her story now.

Fina glanced up. Claudia had stopped mid skirt swap and was standing in her slip.

"Is everything okay? He's not sick again is he?"

Fina could see the concern on Claudia's face and really started regretting her choices.

"No, no," Fina waved her hand, "nothing like that. I'm just really glad he's doing okay and don't want to take that for granted".

Fina was overwhelmingly grateful that her father was feeling better so padding the lie with the truth felt slightly more tolerable.

For good measure Fina added, "In the morning I'm going with doña Marta to Madrid to look at display ideas for the store."

She figured she should cover all her bases and try to make it as truthful as possible in case it came up somewhere down the line.

The mental gymnastics it took to love someone in secret was truly a burden. How much energy is wasted burying joy?

Fina flattened her skirt and kept packing.

"You'll be with Marta soon. You'll be with Marta soon. You'll be with Marta soon," she repeated it over and over in her head like a mantra.

The warmth she had most of the afternoon started to spread through her again, calming her nerves, but Fina could hardly wait to see Marta.

***

Fina had barely stepped outside when the De La Reina's car pulled up. She ducked her head to look in the backseat for Marta but it was empty.

Just then, the driver door opened and Marta stepped out. Under her black coat she had on a knee length, midnight blue dress with black velvet trim and a neckline that dipped below her collar bones. Fina hadn't seen it before and it caught her off guard. How could someone be so dazzling? It actually made her a little dizzy and almost forget that she was also surprised that Marta had just stepped out of the driver's seat. Her eyes met Marta's and she blushed.

"Your chariot awaits you, my Queen," Marta said motioning to the car.

She was grinning from ear to ear trying not to laugh at herself, but the sincerity in her eyes made Fina swoon. She loved when Marta let her guard down, even the littlest bit, and Fina could tell that she was excited to be driving them to Madrid. They were going to be truly alone, together. Finally.

"Wow doña Marta look at you!" Fina teased, though it did actually turn her on to have Marta driving her to their not so secret apartment for the first time.

"You know I hate when you call me that," Marta said opening the door for Fina and playfully spanking her as she put her suitcase on the backseat.

Fina's eyes darted around to make sure no one had seen, but it was dark and they were alone.

"Well, you are la Reina, no?" Fina joked.

Marta rolled her eyes but the smile stayed on her face. Fina sauntered around to the passenger side of the car and got in. She felt the butterflies in her stomach kick up. Marta slid into the driver seat next to her and laid her hand on the space between them, palm up. Fina wove her fingers between Marta's and looked over to her.

"Ready?" Marta smiled, eyes twinkling and then softening to match Fina's

"Always have been, my love." Fina replied.