17. Deeper Still

"This is it," Esther said stopping in front of a wrought iron gate nestled between two tall, stone walls. Fina peered through the bars into a green oasis that stood out from the beautiful, but monotonous expanse of Paris's creamy limestone architecture.

"What an unusual building," Marta remarked, joining Fina's side to hook arms with her.

"The house is as unique as Flossie, of course," Esther pushed open the gate. "She wouldn't have it any other way."

They started across the yard, Marta trailing behind to take in the grounds.The setting sun cast long shadows through the trees, stretching towards the large, glowing solarium that lay beyond. Fina could see people milling about between the stacks of books that lined the windows.

"So, you seem to know Flossie pretty well..." Fina wiggled her eyebrows at Esther teasingly.

"Me and about half the lesbians in Paris," Esther whispered grinning. The door to the house opened as a few people stepped outside, letting music twinkle into the evening air.

Fina let out a surprised laugh. "She's a little...old for you, no?"

Esther shrugged and peeked over her shoulder, grabbing the door handle. "Lust knows no age, Fina. You should know that."

Fina rolled her eyes, stopping in the doorway to wait for Marta to catch up. "Ten years is a little different than thirty but I see your point."

"Besides, it's nothing serious. I don't want to get my heart broken." Esther glanced quickly at Fina before shifting her gaze to Marta, who was now approaching. "I think I'll meet you inside," she mumbled slipping past Fina before she could reply.

Seemingly, blissfully unaware of the tension she had created with her presences, Marta exclaimed, "There's an entire separate building over there, did you see that?"

Fina reluctantly shifted her focus from Esther and nodded appeasingly, holding out her hand for Marta to hold.

"Sorry," Marta blushed, embarrassed by her enthusiasm. "It's just...this place is beautiful. I mean, look at these windows." She leaned back to take in the solarium's greenhouse-like charm.

The warm glow from the lights inside filtered through the glass onto Marta's face. Fina swooned, admiring the cut of her jaw then leaned forward to kiss it. Marta sighed happily, tilting her head to nuzzle into Fina's neck.

"Mmm. You smell delicious," she whispered against Fina's skin before biting down lightly. Fina felt a rush of heat go through her as a breathy laugh escaped her throat.

"Stop, we have to go inside!" She pressed her hands to her hair, trying to calm her racing heart.

Marta pouted, but a mischievous smile curled the corners of her lips. "If you insist," she crooned, holding the door open for Fina to pass through.

"Girls!" Flossie shouted, spotting them immediately. Her vibrant energy filled the space. She floated across the room, her long dress dancing around her feet. "Welcome, welcome!"

"Thank you for inviting us. It's so lovely to meet you," Fina said, extending her hand. Flossie grasped it and lifted it to her lips, kissing it delicately.

"Enchanté," she flirted. "Come on in-the party is just getting started."

Fina laughed bashfully. She could feel Marta's presence beside her, vibrating with amusement and maybe some jealousy as she subtly wrapped her arm around Fina's waist, pulling her a little closer.

"This place is incredible, it feels like a secret garden," Fina remarked, gracefully changing the subject.

Flossie's eyes twinkled. "Exactly! Somewhere magical where we can all hide away together." She winked and gestured to a makeshift bar at the far end of the room. "Please help yourself to some drinks and my famous chocolate cake, I make it myself."