4. Twice As Sweet

Marta opened her eyes. The curtains at the far end of the apartment were open to the street and soft beams of light were streaking through the windows. Birds sang in between the low hum of a passing car every few minutes. She yawned and rolled over, pulling the sheet up higher on her chest.

Fina lay next to her, golden skin glowing in the morning light. She was on her back, one hand palm up above her head, the other stretched out in the space between them. Marta watched as Fina drew in barely audible breathes, her naked chest rising and falling softly.

She felt a heat rush through her body remembering how Fina's soft curves felt in her hands. There was a small heart shaped birthmark where her breast met her ribs that you could only really see when she was laying down. Marta had noticed it the third night they stayed in Illescas, kissing it and saying,

"Dos corazones te hacen el doble de dulce."

The details of Fina's body melted through her mind. The little beauty mark above her lip, the fine baby hairs at the nape of neck, the curve of her waist into her hip and lower back where here hand fit so perfectly. She wanted to kiss the little heart now, but cuddled into Fina's shoulder instead, tucking the heart under the sheet. Fina stirred and yawned.

"Mmm," she mumbled, her voice still thick with sleep. "What time is it?"

Marta paused to brush her lips on Fina's arm before answering, "I don't know actually."

She had been so distracted admiring Fina she hadn't even thought to check the time. It didn't matter anyway. It was Saturday and they weren't expected back at the colony until the late afternoon.

A breeze blew through the open windows behind them and Marta could feel goosebumps rise on Fina's supple skin.

"Burr, it's still spring I guess," Fina shivered as Marta got out of bed, still in her slip. She shut the windows and grabbed the quilt that had fallen at the foot of the bed next to her underwear.

"I would make you coffee but I still have to buy a kettle," Marta apologized, covering Fina with the quilt, but she quickly sat up, wiping her sleepy eyes.

"Can we get one today?" Fina asked excitedly. Dios mio, she was adorable. Marta smirked, amused by her eagerness.

"Whatever you want to do, we will do my love," she said stroking her thumb along Fina's cheekbone.

Fina did a little clap and shot out of bed to the bathroom.

Marta loved how Fina loved. So readily and honestly. Her joy was contagious.

The water started running in the bath and Marta turned to choose an outfit from the wardrobe.

"What's a good dress for a Spring day spent with your girlfriend picking out a coffee pot?" she said to herself laughing. Marta could hardly believe her life right now.

***

On the streets of Madrid the two felt a little less scared to walk arm in arm. To any passer-by they could be cousins or just friends. No one here knew them so it wasn't as obvious what they were to each other as it would have been in the colony. It's not like it was normal for a boss and her employee to hook arms and stroll through the center square together, laughing and nudging one another. But just two women doing the same in a big city? Not many heads turned.

Marta was thankful for the reprieve. Of course she couldn't kiss Fina out in the street, but at least she could touch her without raising too much suspicion. If really felt like they were getting away with something, which secretly also excited Marta a little. She usually wasn't one to take risks but the serotonin from falling in love, truly for the first time, was coursing through her body. She felt like what she thought a teenager must feel; ready to risk it all for a kiss.