11. Sueños

"Can I interest you in dessert, ladies?" A waiter pushing a cart full of pastries and cakes had stopped in front of their table.

The noises of the restaurant jumbled together to make a kind of symphony of voices and glass on glass that lulled underneath the live music echoing through the space. They were out to dinner at Sobrino de Botin which had quickly become their favorite place in Madrid. The food was delicious, there were small booths they could easily hide away in and, most importantly for tonight, it was between their apartment and Tobar's so it made for an easy stop on the way.

Marta looked to Fina for an answer on dessert, knowing she would probably want something.

"Mmmm, I think I'll wait til later to have something sweet," Fina kept her eyes on the waiter but tapped her leg against Marta's under the table making her blush and bite her tongue to keep from smiling.

"Just the check, please," Marta replied, cooly brushing her hair over her shoulder. The waiter departed and Fina turned to her grinning. Marta shook her head. "You really love doing that to me, huh?"

"I can't help it." Fina smirked and slid her ankle up Marta's leg. Marta's back stiffened as she inhaled quickly and looked around.

"Now you're just being mean," she smiled, standing to leave.

"But we haven't gotten the check yet." Fina said, gathering her things haphazardly.

"I'll pay on the way out," Marta replied before turning back to whisper, "Unless you changed your mind and would rather stay here for dessert?"

Fina shook her head coyly then hurried to follow Marta to the door.

Tobar's was packed. While the space felt truly grand and lush thanks to the high ceiling and tiered floor, it was actually modest in size. It didn't take a ton of people to really fill the room, and with a full band crammed on the stage it felt like a real party.

Upon entering they took a minute to let the energy wash over them. It smelled like citrus, powder, and cigarettes. Marta's heart beat faster but her shoulders relaxed and she laced her fingers between Fina's.

She turned to Fina and gestured with her hand, asking if she wanted a drink so she didn't have to shout over the noise. Fina nodded and let Marta weave them through the crowd of women to the bar.

Pointing to Marta as they approached, the bartender shouted, "Cognac, neat?"

Marta smiled and nodded, surprised that she had remembered. Fina dropped her hand and stepped in front of Marta. She rested her arm on the counter and held up two fingers.

"Make that two," Fina said, her voice commanding but adorable to Marta. She pulled money out of her purse and slowly slid it to the bartender with one pointed finger.

Marta laughed quietly and wrapped her arm around Fina who had turned away from the bar and was surveying the room with her hand on her hip. She leaned in and kissed her neck.

"You don't even like cognac," Marta hummed into her ear.

"I like how it tastes on your mouth when you kiss me," Fina purred and then kissed Marta for good measure, her tongue lingering longer on her lips that usual.

The bartender cleared her throat politely to get their attention and placed their drinks on the counter. Fina picked them up and handed one to Marta, wrapping her arm around her waist, ushering her towards the tables surrounding the dance floor.

They had crossed the entire room looking for an open spot when they heard someone shouting.

"Coffee girls! Hey, hey coffee girls!"