Chapter 2: The Dancer's World

[MIA'S BEDROOM - EARLY MORNING]

The walls are decorated with posters of dancers, motivational quotes, and a few trophies from past dance competitions. A small desk cluttered with books and notebooks sits in the corner. Mia is still in bed, her alarm clock blaring next to her. She groans and reaches out to hit the snooze button, pulling the covers over her head.

Every day begins the same for Mia. The sun rises, and with it, the responsibilities that come with being a high school student, a daughter, and a dancer.

Mia finally sits up in bed, rubbing her eyes. She glances at a photo of her grandmother on the bedside table and smiles softly.

But there's something more that drives her - a deep love for the one who always believed in her, her late grandmother, who left this world twelve years ago, but still lives in Mia's heart.

MIA
(sighing softly) "Another day, La. Another chance to make you proud."

She gets out of bed and starts her morning routine, getting dressed in her school uniform and grabbing her dance bag from the floor. She checks her reflection in the mirror, practicing a few dance moves before heading out the door.

After a few minutes, Mia enters the kitchen where her Mother Janneza Mertineza is cooking breakfast and her Father Miggy Mertineza is reading the newspaper. Her Older brother Mikael Joson - Mertineza is sitting at the table, scrolling through his phone.

JANNEZA
(sweetly) "Morning, Mia. Mag almusal ka na."

MIA
(sitting down at the table) "Thanks, Mom."

MIGGY
(looking up from his newspaper) "Natapos mo na ba yung homework mo last night?"

MIA
(nodding) "Yes po, I stayed up a little late, pero I got it done."

MIGGY
(gruffly but with warmth) "Good. Tandaan ha, your studies come first. Gusto kita makitang grumaduate."

Mia nods, her smile faltering just slightly. Her brother looks up from his phone and smirks.

MIKAEL
(teasing) "Makinig kay Papa. We don't need another dropout sa pamilyang 'to."

JANNEZA
(reproachful) "Enough, son. Mia's doing her best, hindi kagaya mo ano."

Mia laughs it off, but there's a hint of unease in her eyes. Her Father reaches over and pats her hand reassuringly.

MIGGY
(smiling gently) "Proud kami sa 'yo, Mia. Just keep working hard."

Mia nods, feeling the weight of her family's expectations. She quickly finishes her breakfast and grabs her dance bag, heading for the door.

MIA
(rushing) "Una na po ako, or I'll be late sa practice! See you all later!"

[EVERRIDGE ACADEMY - DAY]

Mia walking across the school campus, her dance bag slung over her shoulder. She greets a few classmates as she makes her way to the gymnasium, where dance practice is held.

For Mia, school wasn't just about classes and grades. It was the place where she could escape into the world of dance - a world where she felt truly alive.

Mia enters the gymnasium, where a group of girls are already warming up. Anna and Jenna wave to her as she joins them on the floor.

ANNA
(grinning) "About time you showed up, sleepyhead!"

MIA
(laughing) "I know, I know. I'm here now, though, so tara na!"

Mia stretches and prepares for practice. The coach, Mr. Horinawa, enters the gym and claps his hands to get the girls' attention.

Mia considers her coach, Mr. Horinawa, as a father on the dance floor because he encouraged her to continue and improve her passion for dancing. Mia is the only one he calls "Nak" in his class.

MR. HORINAWA
(serious tone) "Alright, guys, let's start. We've got an event coming up, and I expect everyone to be at their best. Nak, why don't you lead the warm-up today?"

MIA
(surprised but pleased) "Sure thing, Tay"

Mia takes her position at the front of the group, leading the warm-up with confidence. As the music starts, her movements are fluid and graceful, her face lighting up with joy.

When she danced, all the worries and pressures of life seemed to melt away. On the dance floor, she wasn't just Mia, the girl with ADHD and bipolar disorder. She was Mia, the dancer - strong, confident, and free.

As she dances, the rest of the world fades into the background. The other girls follow her lead, admiring her skill and passion.

Mia leaving the gym after practice, her face flushed with exertion and satisfaction. Anna and Jenna walk beside her, chatting about the upcoming event.

JENNA
(enthusiastic) "Ang galing-galing mo ro'n, baby girl! I swear, you're going to blow everyone away at the event. Can't wait!"

MIA
(modest, but pleased) "Thanks, baby girl! Gusto ko lang ma-make sure na we're all ready."

ANNA
(supportive) "We will be, with you leading the way."

As they walk down the hallway, Mia's mood shifts slightly, her thoughts drifting to the expectations she carries, both from her family and herself.

But as much as dance gave her freedom, it also reminded her of the expectations she had to meet - the ones from her family, her friends, and most of all, herself.

Mia glances around the hallway, seeing other students who seem carefree, unaware of the silent struggles she faces daily. Her smile falters for a moment, but she quickly regains her composure, laughing at a joke Jenna makes.

[EVERRIDGE COURTYARD - SUNSET]

Mia sitting alone on a bench in the campus' courtyard after her friends have left. The sun is setting, casting a warm, golden light over the scene. She pulls out her phone and scrolls through old photos of her grandmother, her eyes misting over.

In these quiet moments, away from the noise and expectations, Mia allowed herself to feel - to miss the grandmother who had always believed in her, and to wonder if she could truly live up to everyone's hopes.

MIA
(softly) "I wish you were here, Lola. I could really use your advice right now. I miss you so bad"

She wipes away a tear and takes a deep breath, standing up and shouldering her dance bag once more.

But life didn't wait, and neither could Mia. There were expectations to meet, dreams to chase, and a world that wouldn't stop turning. And so, she pushed forward, determined to keep dancing, even when the music in her heart began to falter.

Mia walks away from the bench, her silhouette framed against the setting sun, heading toward the school gate with a mix of determination and uncertainty

---