Chapter 4: A Chance Encounter

[EVERRIDGE COURTYARD – MORNING]

The campus' courtyard bustling with students heading to their classes. The sun is shining, casting a warm glow on the scene. In the midst of the crowd, Mia and her two best friends, Anna and Jenna, are walking together, chatting and laughing. Mia, as usual, is animated and full of energy, gesturing wildly as she talks.

In a school full of students, it’s easy to get lost in the crowd. But sometimes, fate has a way of making two paths cross, even when you least expect it.

As the girls walk, Mia spots something on the ground – a small charm that has fallen off someone’s bag. She bends down to pick it up, examining it curiously.

MIA
(holding it up) "Look what I found! Ang cute 'no?"

ANNA
(smiling) "Maybe sign na 'yan. You should keep it for good luck."

JENNA
(teasing) "Or baka it belongs to your future boyfriend. You know, like in those movies where people meet dahil sa ganiyan"

Mia laughs and pockets the charm, shaking her head at Jenna’s playful comment.

They continue walking, not realizing that just a few steps ahead, Jace is walking with his friends, Aiden, Lorian, and Katty. Jace was in a deep conversation with Aiden about their upcoming game, while Lorian and Katty chat behind them.

JACE 
(serious tone) "We need to tighten up our defense. If magawa man natin 'yon, the championship is ours."

AIDEN
(nodding) "You’re right. We’ve got the offense down, pero the other team’s no joke. We need to be ready."

As they approach a corner, neither Jace nor Mia notices the other until it’s too late. They collide, sending Mia stumbling back. Jace quickly reaches out to steady her, his reflexes sharp from years of playing basketball.

JACE
(apologetic) "Whoa, I’m so sorry! Okay ka lang Miss?"

Mia blinks up at Jace, momentarily startled by the impact. She quickly regains her balance, looking up at him with wide eyes. There’s a brief pause as their eyes meet, and both of them feel an unexpected spark.

MIA
(flustered) "Uh, yeah, I’m fine. I wasn’t paying attention."

JACE
(shaking his head) "No, no, no, it’s my fault. I should've been watching where I was going. I'm sorry again, Miss"

The moment stretches on, both of them feeling a strange connection but unsure of what to say next. Anna and Jenna exchange knowing looks, while Aiden nudges Jace with a smirk.

AIDEN
(grinning) "Bago 'to pre ah. Bumping into someone without the ball in his hands."

JACE 
(embarrassed) "Cut it out, Aiden."

Mia giggles, the tension easing slightly. She’s still holding the charm she found earlier, and impulsively, she holds it out to Jace.

MIA
(sweetly) "Here. I found this on the ground. Maybe it’s yours?"

Jace looks at the charm, confused for a moment before shaking his head.

JACE
(softly) "No, it’s not mine, pero thanks."

Their hands brush as he gently pushes the charm back toward her, and they both feel a small jolt at the contact. Mia blushes slightly, pulling her hand back quickly.

KATTY
(teasing) "Looks like fate’s playing matchmaker today."

Mia glances at her friends, who are grinning and clearly enjoying the situation. She quickly stuffs the charm back in her pocket, trying to play it cool.

MIA
(awkwardly) "Uh, I should get t-to class. See you around!"

She quickly walks away, Anna and Jenna following close behind, still giggling. Jace watches her go, a small smile playing on his lips before he turns back to his friends.

LORIAN
(joking) "Well, that was something. Duma-damoves din pala 'to off the court eh."

KATTY
(teasing) "Iba 'tong bata mo, Aiden. Lakas ng karisma."

AIDEN
"Gamay na gamay pagiging lover boy eh."

JACE
(laughing) "Come on, guys. Let’s not make this a thing."

But as they walk away, Jace can’t help but glance back, his thoughts lingering on the girl he just met.

It was just a brief encounter, a moment in the midst of a busy day. But sometimes, it only takes a moment to change the course of your life.

[SCHOOL GROUNDS – LATER THAT DAY]

Mia sitting under a tree during lunch to eat, the charm in her hand as she looks out at the school grounds. Her mind is clearly elsewhere, replaying the moment she bumped into Jace.

ANNA
(sitting beside her) "So, what was that all about? You two seemed to hit it off."

MIA
(distracted) "It was just an accident, okay?"

JENNA
(teasing) "Maybe it was, or maybe it’s the start of something more. Who knows? May dentistry kayo eh"

ANNA
(confused) "Ha? what do you mean by dentistry?"

JENNA
"Kaya ayaw kong nag jo-joke sa 'yo eh, kailangan pang i-explain"

Mia burst into laugh, but suddenly her thoughts are on Jace.

MIA
"Stop it, girls. Nilalangaw na pagkain n'yo."

She tucks the charm back into her pocket to finish what she eats. Later on, she feels a strange sense of anticipation that she can’t quite explain.

[EVERRIDGE GYMNASIUM – LATER THAT DAY]

Jace in the gym after school, shooting hoops by himself. The gym is quiet except for the sound of the ball hitting the floor and swishing through the net. He’s focused, but every now and then, his mind drifts back to Mia

For both Jace and Mia, the encounter was unexpected, a brief intersection of two lives on different paths. But as they continued with their day, they couldn’t shake the feeling that something had just begun.

Jace takes a shot, the ball arcing perfectly through the air and landing cleanly in the basket. He stands there for a moment, staring at the hoop, lost in thought.

JACE
(quietly to himself) "Who was that girl? Ipatanong ko kaya kay, Aiden?"

He shakes his head, trying to focus, but the memory of Mia’s face and the brief spark they shared lingers in his mind.

---