Chapter 16: Unveiled Secrets

A week after the breakup was a blur for Jace. The guilt gnawed at him, but he buried it deep, trying to move forward with his new girl, Lila Parenas, the girl who had unknowingly driven a wedge between him and Mia. Jace had convinced himself that it was better this way-better to let Mia go without burdening her with the full truth. But as the days turned into weeks, the weight of his secret became heavier.

Jace's friends noticed the change in him. They had seen the spark between Jace and Mia slowly fade, but they hadn't known the reason behind it. Aiden, however, had been paying closer attention. He had watched Jace pull away from Mia, spending more time with Lila. It hadn't taken long for Aiden to piece together what was going on.

[EVERRIDGE GYMNASIUM - DAY]

One evening, after basketball practice, Aiden cornered Jace in the locker room. Aiden's voice was tight with frustration.

AIDEN
"We need to talk"

Jace looked up, surprised by the serious tone in his best friend's voice.

JACE
"What's up, man?"

Aiden crossed his arms, his expression stern.

AIDEN
"Don't play dumb, Jace. I know what's been going on between you and Lila."

Jace froze, his heart pounding in his chest.

JACE
"Aiden, I-"

Aiden interrupted, his voice harsh.

AIDEN
"Save it. You messed up, Jace. Big time. Mia didn't deserve this."

Jace felt a wave of shame wash over him.

JACE
"I know, okay? I know, I messed up. But it's too late to fix it now."

Aiden shot back, anger flaring in his eyes.

AIDEN
"That's your excuse?! You could've been honest with Mia from the start. Instead, you let her believe that there was still something worth saving between you two. And for what? So you could play both sides?"

JACE
(he muttered) "It wasn't like that"

Even to his own ears, the words sounded hollow.

AIDEN
"Then what was it? You think you're the only one hurting here? Mia's been a wreck, man. And you just... moved on, like she didn't matter."

Jace couldn't find the words to defend himself. The truth was, Aiden was right. He had moved on-too quickly, too selfishly. And now, the person who had been his closest friend was looking at him like he didn't even know him.

JACE
"I didn't mean to hurt her, I just... I didn't know how to end it."

Jace's voice is barely above a whisper. Aiden shook his head, disappointment etched on his face.

AIDEN
"You could've ended it with the truth, Jace. But instead, you took the easy way out. And now Mia's left to pick up the pieces while you're off with Lila. Sugapa ampota, hindi ka ma-uubusan, bro"

Jace hung his head, unable to meet Aiden's gaze.

JACE
"I'm sorry."

AIDEN
(coldly) "She doesn't deserve that kind of pain on top of everything else."

Jace had already caused enough damage; the least he could do was spare Mia the full extent of his betrayal. Secrets have a way of surfacing, and Jace's was no exception.