Chapter 12: The Park of Unanswered Questions

[PARK - DAY]

The sun was setting over the park, casting long shadows across the playground and the walking trails that Mia and Jace had once frequented. The park had been their sanctuary, a place where they had shared countless moments of joy and intimacy. As Mia walked along the familiar path leading to their usual meeting spot, her heart pounded with a mixture of hope and dread.

Jace's text had been brief and to the point:

JACE
"Can we meet at the park? I need to talk."

The anticipation had built up over the past few days of silence, and now, as Mia approached the park, she felt as if she were stepping into an emotional minefield. Her footsteps echoed in the quiet of the park, her mind racing with questions she desperately wanted answered.

She found their old bench near the large oak tree where they had shared so many conversations. Sitting there, she nervously twisted her fingers together, her gaze fixed on the path leading to the park's entrance.

Minutes felt like hours until Jace finally appeared, walking towards her with a slow, deliberate pace. His face was unreadable, a mask of conflicted emotions. As he approached, Mia stood up, her heart sinking at the sight of him. There was no warmth in his eyes, only a distant sadness that mirrored her own feelings.

MIA
(trembling) "Jace, you wanted to talk?"

Jace nodded, taking a seat on the bench. Mia followed suit, sitting beside him, her hands resting in her lap. The silence stretched between them, heavy and suffocating.

JACE
(low tone) "I'm sorry for disappearing, I know it must've been hard on you."

Mia nodded, her eyes searching his face for some clue about what had happened.

MIA
"It has been. I've been so worried about you. Why did you pull away? Why couldn't you just talk to me?"

Jace's eyes dropped to the ground, struggling to find the right words.

JACE
"It's complicated, Mia. There's stuff I'm dealing with, with that I just... I can't explain it all right now."

The lack of a clear explanation stung, and Mia felt her frustration bubbling over.

MIA
"You've left me hanging, Jace. I've been waiting for days, wondering if I did something wrong. You owe me more than this vague 'complicated' answer."

Jace's shoulders slumped, and he looked up at her with a pained expression.

JACE
"I didn't mean to hurt you. I just... I needed space to figure things out. I thought it would be easier if I kept my distance."

MIA
"Easier for who? For you or for me? It's not fair to just shut me out without giving me any reason. I love you, Jace. I need to know what's going on."

Her voice is rising with emotion. Tears began to pool in Mia's eyes as she spoke, and Jace's own eyes glistened with unshed tears.

JACE
(voice breaking) "It's not about not loving you, Mahal kita, Mia. But sometimes love isn't enough. Sometimes people need more than what they can give or receive."

Mia shook her head, the tears now streaming down her face.

MIA
"But that's not an answer. You're leaving me with more questions than I had before. I just want to understand, to know if we still have a chance or if this is it."

Jace's face contorted with anguish, and he looked away, as if searching for something-anything-to say.

JACE
"I'm so sorry. I didn't want to hurt you. I just don't know how to fix this. I don't know if it can be fixed."

The air between them grew heavy with unspoken words and unresolved emotions. Mia's breathing became ragged as she struggled to hold back a sob.

MIA
"Please, Jace. Just tell me why. Tell me something real."

Jace's hands clenched into fists, and he took a deep breath.

JACE
"I can't explain everything. I just know that I can't be the person you need right now."

Mia's heart shattered as she heard the finality in his words.

MIA
"So, what are you saying? Is this it? Is this how it ends?"

Jace looked at her, his face a mixture of sorrow and resignation.

JACE
"I think it's better if we break up. It's not fair to either of us to keep going like this. You deserve someone who can give you what you need, and right now, I'm not that person."

The words hit Mia like a physical blow, and she could no longer hold back her tears.

MIA
"No, Jace, we promised each other. Please don't do this. We can work through this. We can find a way."

Jace's eyes filled with tears, and he reached out to gently touch her hand.

JACE
"I wish it were that simple. I really do. But I can't keep hurting you like this. I need to let you go so you can find someone who can give you the love and commitment you deserve."

They both cried openly now, their sobs mingling with the sounds of the evening. The park, once a place of joy and comfort, now felt like a cruel reminder of what they had lost. Mia's heart aches with the weight of the unresolved feelings and the crushing reality of their breakup.

JACE
"I'm so sorry, Mia. I never wanted to hurt you. But I think this is the best thing for both of us."

Jace stood up, his face wet with tears. Mia remained seated, her tears falling freely as she watched him walk away. The darkness of the evening seemed to swallow Jace's retreating figure, leaving her alone on the bench, her heart broken and her mind reeling.

As the park grew darker, Mia felt a profound sense of loss. The future she had envisioned with Jace had dissolved into a painful uncertainty. She remained there long after he had left, her cries echoing in the emptiness of the park, mourning the end of a chapter she had hoped would never close.

---