Chapter 7: Making It Official

[EVERRIDGE GROUNDS - DAY]

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm golden hue over the school grounds. Jace and Mia sat together on a bench near the basketball court, the place where so many of their moments had unfolded.

Their hands were intertwined, a gesture that had become second nature to them over the past few weeks. Yet, there was an unspoken tension in the air-something neither of them had directly addressed, but both knew it was there.

Jace turned to look at Mia, her profile bathed in the soft light of the setting sun. He had always found her beautiful, but there was something about this moment that made his heart ache with affection. He knew he had to speak up, to finally put into words what he had been feeling.

JACE
"Mia, I've been thinking... about us."

Mia's heart skipped a beat. She turned to meet his gaze, her eyes searching for what was to come. Her voice is a little more tentative than she intended.

MIA
"What about us?"

Jace took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts.

JACE
"I don't want to keep wondering where we stand. I don't want to leave things undefined, you know? These past few weeks have been amazing-spending time with you, getting to know you better... I've never felt this way about anyone before."

Mia's heart swelled at his words, her grip on his hand tightening slightly. She had been feeling the same way, but hearing it from him brought a sense of relief and excitement.

MIA
"I feel the same way, Jace. I just didn't want to rush things or mag assume."

Jace smiled, a mixture of nerves and hope playing on his features.

JACE
"I want us to be more than just... whatever this is. I want to be with you, Mia. Officially."

Mia's breath caught in her throat. It was a simple statement, but it carried so much weight. She felt her emotions surge-happiness, relief, and an overwhelming sense of rightness. Her voice was steady and sure as she replied.

MIA
"I'd like that too, Jace, I want to be with you."

Jace's face broke into a wide grin, and without another word, he pulled Mia into a tight embrace. She laughed softly, wrapping her arms around him as well, feeling a sense of completeness that had been missing for so long.

When they finally pulled back, their eyes met again, and this time, there was no uncertainty, no hesitation-only a shared understanding of the bond they had just solidified.

They sat there for a while longer, the silence between them comfortable and full of promises. It wasn't until the sun had nearly disappeared behind the horizon that Jace spoke up again, this time with a slightly more nervous tone.

JACE
"So... since we're officially together now, I was thinking, Would you want to come over to our house tomorrow and meet my family?"

Jace started, rubbing the back of his neck, a habit Mia had come to recognize as a sign that he was nervous.

Mia's heart fluttered at the invitation. Meeting Jace's family felt like the next big step in their relationship, and while the thought made her a little nervous, it also excited her.

She had heard so much about them-how close they were, how much Jace loved and respected them. The idea of being welcomed into that circle filled her with anticipation.