Midnight Fiction |Chapter 13|

"It was the possibility of darkness that made the day seem so bright."

‿︵‿︵‿︵୨˚̣̣̣୧ - - - - - ୨˚̣̣̣୧‿︵‿︵‿︵

3rd Person POV

It was one of those nights. The kind where sleep felt impossible, where the silence of the dorm was too loud, and the thoughts in Eunchae's head refused to settle. She tossed and turned in bed, trying to find a comfortable position, but the more she tried to sleep, the more awake she felt. Eventually, she gave up, staring at the ceiling with a heavy sigh.

The dorm was quiet, save for the soft, rhythmic breathing of the other members. Chaewon was sound asleep in the bed across from hers, her face serene and peaceful. Eunchae felt a pang of envy; she wished she could find that same peace in sleep. But tonight, something was different. Something was gnawing at her, a restlessness that wouldn't go away.

Her stomach growled, breaking the silence. Of course, she was hungry. Eunchae sat up, rubbing her eyes as she tried to remember if there was anything in the fridge. They had been so busy lately with schedules, practices, and preparations for their upcoming comeback that she hadn't had the chance to check. Quietly, she slipped out of bed, careful not to wake anyone, and tiptoed to the kitchen.

She opened the fridge door, the light casting a soft glow in the dark kitchen. She squinted, trying to make out what was left. A few bottles of water, some leftover takeout that was probably past its prime, and... that was it. Eunchae's stomach grumbled in protest. She closed the fridge with a disappointed sigh.

She knew what she had to do. It wasn't the first time she'd snuck out of the dorm late at night for a snack, and it probably wouldn't be the last. But she couldn't risk being recognized. She pulled on a hoodie, tugging the hood low over her head, and grabbed a mask to cover her face. If anyone saw her, they'd just think she was another late-night wanderer.

Eunchae moved quietly through the dorm, slipping on her shoes at the entrance before stepping out into the cool night air. The city was still awake, the streets illuminated by the soft glow of streetlights. It was comforting in a way, the world still moving even when everything else was quiet. She headed toward a convenience store she knew was open 24/7, her footsteps echoing in the empty streets.

The neon sign of the store flickered in the distance, and she quickened her pace. The thought of a warm, comforting cup of ramyeon was enough to make her mouth water. As she reached the store, she hesitated for a moment, looking around to make sure no one was watching. Satisfied that she was alone, she pushed open the door and stepped inside.

The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead as she made her way to the instant noodle aisle. It was almost empty, the shelves lined with various brands and flavors of ramyeon. She grabbed her favorite, clutching the cup in her hands as she headed toward the counter.

Eunchae glanced at the cashier as she approached. The girl was engrossed in something on her phone, barely looking up as Eunchae placed the ramyeon on the counter. It was only when the girl looked up to scan the item that Eunchae did a double-take. The cashier looked almost exactly like Karina from aespa. Same sharp features, same confident gaze.

Eunchae blinked, her heart skipping a beat. For a moment, she wondered if it really was Karina. But no, that didn't make sense. Why would Karina be working at a convenience store? Eunchae shook her head, trying to dismiss the thought. It was late, and she was probably just tired. The girl didn't seem to recognize her, which was a relief. She quickly paid for the ramyeon and headed to the microwave to heat it up.

The convenience store was eerily quiet, the only sound being the hum of the microwave as it warmed her meal. She glanced around, her eyes landing on the empty seats outside the store. Perfect. Once the microwave dinged, she carefully took the hot cup and a pair of chopsticks, making her way to the seating area outside. The cool night air was a welcome change from the stuffy dorm, and she took a deep breath, letting it calm her nerves.