Chapter 31: Long due Conversations

Wangji woke slowly, the soft light of dawn filtering through the curtains. For a brief moment, the warmth of the blankets and the lingering presence beside him offered comfort. But as his senses fully returned, a cold emptiness gripped his heart—Wei Ying was gone.

His breath caught in his throat. The spot where Wei Ying had lain just hours before was cold, the blankets neatly folded back as if he had never been there. Panic surged through him, memories of past heartbreak flooding his mind. Twice before, Wei Ying had slipped away in the dead of night, leaving behind nothing but questions and pain.

No. Not again.

Wangji sat up abruptly, his heart pounding in his chest. His eyes frantically scanned the room, desperate to catch a glimpse of Wei Ying, to hear his voice—anything to reassure him that this time was different, that he hadn't been abandoned again.

But before the full weight of fear could settle in, a soft thud sounded from the door. In a blur of motion, Wei Ying appeared, his hair slightly tousled, and his eyes wide with concern. He rushed to Wangji's side, his expression a mix of worry and apology.

"Lan Zhan, I'm here! I just stepped out for a moment!" Wei Ying's voice was breathless as he knelt beside the bed, reaching for Wangji's hand.

Wangji stared at him, relief washing over him like a tidal wave. His pulse still raced, and his chest felt tight, but seeing Wei Ying there, so close and so real, began to calm the storm inside him. For a moment, he couldn't speak, the fear too fresh, too raw.

Wei Ying gently squeezed his hand, his gaze softening as he realized the depth of Wangji's panic. "I'm not going anywhere, not anymore" he whispered, his tone filled with tender reassurance. "I promise."

Wangji's fingers slowly curled around Wei Ying's, holding on tightly as if afraid to let go. His voice, when he finally found it, was low and rough with emotion. "You weren't here... I thought..."

"I'm sorry," Wei Ying interrupted, his voice full of regret. "I should've left a note or something. I just— I needed some air. But I'm here now, and I'm not leaving."

Wangji exhaled shakily, his shoulders relaxing as he pulled Wei Ying into a firm embrace. The familiar scent of lotus filled his senses, grounding him in the present. Wei Ying's arms wrapped around him in return, holding him just as tightly, as if he understood the unspoken fears that lingered between them.

They stayed like that, wrapped in each other's embrace, until Wei Ying gently pushed Wangji back onto the bed. His hands were firm but tender as he guided Wangji to lie down.

"You need to rest," Wei Ying said softly, concern lacing his voice. "Your wounds aren't fully healed yet."

Wangji tried to protest, but the fatigue he had been ignoring for so long was catching up to him. His body, still sore and weak, seemed to agree with Wei Ying's words.

Wei Ying sat beside him, his eyes filled with both affection and worry. "I'll be right here. Just rest for a bit, Lan Zhan."

Wangji closed his eyes, comforted by Wei Ying's presence, but his mind refused to settle. The room was quiet, the only sound the faint rustle of fabric as Wei Ying adjusted his position. For a brief moment, Wangji felt the pull of sleep, but then voices began to drift through the haze of his consciousness—low, intense, and filled with emotion.

He didn't know how long he had slept, but it must have been enough for Wei Ying to leave the bed again, as he couldn't feel his presence next to him anymore. The warmth that had been so reassuring just moments before had dissipated, leaving behind a lingering chill.

Wangji blinked his eyes open, the dim light of the room casting long shadows across the floor. He could hear the distant murmur of voices from the next room—Wei Ying and Sizhui, their words carrying a heavy weight even if he couldn't make out the specifics.