Chapter 23 : Embrace of Memories

Hey guys! 

My updates are very slow for these chapters, I haven't forgotten about this fic but work is hectic again so I might take times to update in between chapters, I'm sorry for the wait if you're reading this but I'll try to do my best to update sooner if I can! Enjoy reading! 

*******************************************************

The room was bathed in the soft morning glow as the sun hung low in the sky. Lan Wangji lay in quiet contemplation, his mind drifting to memories of the night shared with Wei Ying. Even in their separation, he felt their bond persisting like an unbreakable thread tethering their hearts together.

Gazing out the window, Wangji couldn't shake the yearning that stirred within him. He craved Wei Ying's warmth, his laughter, the gentle touch of his hand. The recollection of their time together danced in his mind like a cherished melody, bringing him both solace and longing. How he wished for those mornings to be spent waking up with Wei Ying beside him. If it meant keeping Wei Ying by his side, Wangji was willing to carve out a new life in the human world. If Wei Ying hesitated to return, Wangji resolved they would remain here together.

Yet, amidst the tranquility of the morning, a subtle unease lingered at the edge of Wangji's thoughts. The ease with which he had found Wei Ying troubled him. Shouldn't there have been obstacles, especially for someone who wished Wei Ying gone? The lack of interference from others, particularly fellow cultivators who surely knew of his absence from the Cloud Recesses, felt disconcerting.

Furthermore, the mystery surrounding Wei Ying's lost memories weighed heavily on Wangji. He knew of only two individuals capable of altering memories without physical repercussions. Their absence only deepened his concern. Unraveling the truth would prove challenging, but Wangji was resolute in his determination to stand by Wei Ying's side, whatever the outcome.

After rising from bed with a soft sigh, Wangji embarked on his morning routine. He meticulously dressed himself in his traditional attire, the fabric whispering against his skin with each movement. With deliberate grace, he washed his face and hands, the cool water refreshing his senses and clearing away the remnants of sleep.

Downstairs, he found A-Yuan, already awake and preparing breakfast in the kitchen. A warm smile graced Wangji's lips as he observed his son's diligent efforts. Together, they shared a simple yet hearty meal in a comfortable silence. Their morning didn't change much from the times they were still inside the jingshi. A-Yuan had well adapt to the strict rules of the cloud recesses. 

As they finished their breakfast, Wangji poured them both cups of fragrant tea, the delicate aroma filling the air. Seated across from each other over their cups of tea, A-Yuan couldn't contain his curiosity any longer. 

"Baba, may I ask you something?" A-Yuan inquired, his eyes wide with earnestness.

Wangji regarded his son with a gentle expression, welcoming his questions with an open heart. "Of course, A-Yuan. What's on your mind?"

A-Yuan fidgeted with the rim of his teacup, a thoughtful expression knitting his brows. "I've noticed you've been spending a lot of time with Wei Ying lately," he began tentatively. "Is he... remembering you?"

Wangji's gaze softened at the mention of Wei Ying, a tender warmth blooming in his chest. "Not yet, A-Yuan," he replied, his voice carrying a reassuring tone. "Wei Ying is still finding his memories, but I have faith that he will remember in due time. And when he does, he'll remember you as well. I promise."

"I believe he will. I want to see you both happy," A-Yuan said, his sincerity shining through.

Wangji paused, considering his response carefully. "Wei Ying holds a special place in my heart," he admitted, choosing his words with care. "But so do you, A-Yuan. You both bring immense joy into my life."