IX. Demigods in the wild

CHAPTER NINE

"PAM'S COOKING SPRAY!!"

The gods obviously weren't going to be too happy about that, but we didn't stay and chat

The gods obviously weren't going to be too happy about that, but we didn't stay and chat. Yet we were still pretty miserable that night. All four of us camped out in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers. It wasn't the nicest place to sleep, but we had no choice.

The Furies and Medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. We didn't want to attract anything else, and it wasn't worth the risk of the lack of sleep. We decided to sleep in shifts. Percy volunteered to take first watch, and Annabeth was quick to fall asleep. I just decided to stare at the little ant colony in the grass to fall asleep. What? I had nothing better to do.

"It makes me sad, Percy."

I didn't realize that Grover was still awake, but he decided to have a conversation with Percy for a while. I listened in while I continued watching the ants take food back to their queen and future generations.

"What does? The fact that you signed up for this stupid quest?"

"No. This makes me sad." Grover pointed at all the garbage on the ground. "And the sky. You can't even see the stars. They've polluted the sky. This is a terrible time to be a satyr."

"Oh, yeah. I guess you'd be an environmentalist."

Satyrs were the biggest fans of nature, doing a lot more than the people who claimed to help the earth. It was a sore subject because it was impossible to convince every single human to stop being hateful. But at least they tried. I, on the other hand just lived my life. That was still hard for a demigod.

Grover glared at Percy. "Only a human wouldn't be. Your species is clogging up the world so fast ... ah, never mind. It's useless to lecture a human. At the rate things are going, I'll never find Pan."