XII. A musty and dusty war god

CHAPTER TWELVE
" WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS LOVE THE BIKERS?"

CHAPTER TWELVE" WHY DOES EVERYONE ALWAYS LOVE THE BIKERS?"

As soon as I got the mortals to safety, I found Annabeth and Grover

As soon as I got the mortals to safety, I found Annabeth and Grover. I tried to explain to them the best I could about what happened to Percy. I felt horrible for leaving him alone to fight the mother of monsters. I wanted to go back up there and help, but Annabeth told me it wasn't safe. Although she seemed worried about Percy herself.

Soon enough, police vehicles and news crews came running to the scene. They tried to understand the situation the best they could, but they'd never truly know what happened. Maybe just an accidental fire.

"Probably not a terrorist attack, we're told. But it's still very early into the investigation" A woman with long auburn hair stood outside the arch, holding a microphone and standing in front of a news camera. "The damage as you can see is very serious, we're trying to get to some of the survivors. To question them about eyewitness reports of someone falling from the arch."

I froze. Someone falling from the arch?

"Do you think it's Percy?" I looked at Annabeth.

"I'm not-" She stopped, her eyes staring at the river. I looked and saw Percy walking out of the water. But he was completely dry. It must've been a Poseidon thing.

We didn't have time to talk about what happened once Percy came closer. The news lady had just stated talking about Percy and me being juvenile delinquents, and that Percy's stepfather was giving a cash reward to anyone who had information about him. So we got out of there fast.

The next afternoon, June 14, seven days before the solstice, our train rolled into Denver. We hadn't eaten since the night before in the dining car, somewhere in Kansas. We hadn't taken a shower since Half-Blood Hill, and I was sure that was obvious. That was the one thing I didn't like about going on quests.

"Let's try to contact Chiron," Annabeth said. "I want to tell him about your talk with the river spirit."

Percy had explained to us earlier that some river spirit talked to him when he fell from the arch. She gave him some sort of reassurance from Poseidon before swimming off. I wasn't too sure what to think about that, but Percy and I were no longer arguing. Which was good. I didn't feel as guilty about leaving him on the arch now.