XIII. Water parks aren't fun anymore

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
"WHAT IS LOVE? BABY DONT HURT ME!"

CHAPTER THIRTEEN "WHAT IS LOVE? BABY DONT HURT ME!"

I wasn't really keen on the idea of ignoring a god, especially the god of war

I wasn't really keen on the idea of ignoring a god, especially the god of war. But Percy was obviously not sure about the gods yet.

"It's probably some kind of trick," He said. "Forget Ares. Let's just go."

"We can't," Annabeth said. "Look, I hate Ares as much as anybody, but you don't ignore the gods unless you want serious bad fortune. He wasn't kidding about turning you into a rodent."

"Why does he need us?" Percy turned to her.

"Maybe it's a problem that requires brains," Annabeth said. "Ares has strength. That's all he has.
Even strength has to bow to wisdom sometimes."

"I agree on that one, but this water park seemed to scare him." I pointed out "What would make the war god run away like that?"

Annabeth and Grover glanced nervously at each other. None of us really wanted to find out why Ares ran away, but we had no choice. I doubted he would give us helpful information when we were done though. Typical.

Annabeth said, "I'm afraid we'll have to find out."

The sun was sinking behind the mountains by the time we found the water park. Judging from the sign, it once had been called WATERLAND, but now some of the letters were smashed out, so it only had two words hanging on. The main gate was padlocked and topped with barbed wire. Inside, huge dry waterslides and tubes and pipes curled everywhere, leading to empty pools.

Old tickets and advertisements fluttered around the asphalt. With night coming on, the place looked sad and creepy. I didn't understand why the goddess of love would find this place appealing for a date.

"If Ares brings his girlfriend here for a date," Percy was thinking the same thing, staring up at the barbed wire, "I'd hate to see what she looks like."

"Percy," Annabeth warned. "Be more respectful."

"Why? I thought you hated Ares."

"He's still a god. And his girlfriend is very temperamental."