(15)

y/ns pov:

I strode down the hallway, greeting the team as I knocked on Madison's cabin

Hearing a 'come in', I slowly pushed opened the glass door being met with William sitting on the chair opposite to her.

" Hey y/n" she greeted as I took the empty seat, " Also, why Lando's hoodie?" she pointed out earning a groan from me

" Not you too Madi please."

My defeated attitude made them laugh, " Yes yes, laugh all you want at me" I mumbled as Will patted my back, giving me a knowing smile as he tried to suppress his laughter

" Anyways" Madi said gaining our attention, " Will, as you know y/n will be attending the first race weekend." she stated

" Oh no, 3 days with her. God save me" Will uttered, silently praying

I stamped my foot on his, " I heard that William"

" So you both will be working together" she said, " Unfortunately, I won't be present that weekend."

I snapped my head up at her, " What why?"

" I'll tell you about that later. Back to the main topic."

Madison briefed us about the weekend, the media day and other tasks that would need to be completed. Since she wasn't going to be there, most of the pressure was on us. William being experienced since he has attended quite a few race weekends, nodded along to Madison, occasionally joining in with his own opinions about how things should be handled as I took notes and asked questions but one question remained lingering in the back of my mind.

Why choose me? When I'm sure there were far more experienced people to lead in the absence of Madison.

Hoping to keep that thought at bay, I focused on the food kept in front of me and tried to make sense of what William was going on about. I think he was talking about Star Wars.

We were sitting in the cafeteria at our usual spot right next to the window which overlooked the lawn that had flowerbeds on either side along with a swing and a couple of chairs which completed the backside of the headquarters. As we ate lunch in peace, well not exactly peace as Will kept on obsessing over some character from the star wars universe

" Your obsessive side is showing Brooks" I said, using his surname, taunting him as I took a bit from my roll.

" Meanass" he mumbled scoffing, " I don't say that to you Ms.Obessed with Draco Malfoy"

" Hey!" I exclaimed, " Draco Malfoy is hot alright" I pointed my fork at him, " You won't understand that, my child"

" Ew no" he grossed out, taking a sip of the drink, " I'm literally elder to you."

" We are literally the same age, my child." I retorted, teasing him a bit more

" I hope Draco dies" he said, instantly earning a smack on the head

" I hate you and for the record he doesn't die."

" The feelings mutual Dell" he sneered

" Eat your goddamn food Mr. Coffee" I used his nickname, immediately being reminded of the time when he spilt coffee on the team principal on his first day. Oh! What I would give to see a repeat of that happen. I stuck my tongue out at him, internally cackling up at that thought.

He stared at me, " You did not." being in disbelief that I would use that card against him

Before I could reply, a voice caught our attention

My smile immediately dropped and mood shifted upon noticing it was Oscar who called out and following him was Lando who greeted Will as they both sat with us having their own trays of food in their hands.

So much for peace.

The atmosphere immediately shifting which didn't go unnoticed by Oscar or Will. I didn't spare a glance towards Lando, just giving a small smile to Oscar while he conversed with Will.

" Y/n all okay?" Will whispered, locking eyes with him, a look of concern was visible on his face. Giving a slight nod in return, I found it best to excuse myself having already lost my appetite, "I'll get going" I uttered, not waiting on a response as I slid back my chair gathering my belongings and made my way out of the cafeteria.

Charles had just called informing me that he'll be here in about 10 minutes.

Clearing up my desk, I rechecked to ensure that I had everything with me. Especially my keys, which were all made and ready being dropped off earlier his afternoon by John, for which I was immensely grateful.
I found Will at his usual spot on the floor, handing him the file that included the schedule for the videos.

" All done Dell?" he asked, reviewing them

" All done." I sighed, feeling content that the day was finally over, " I'll be leaving now."

Earning a nod from him, I exited the HQ.

The chilly breeze wrapping me the minute I stepped out; the evening was tranquil and held a sense of constant to it. The dim light illuminating from the lamps above casting a shadow to the beings who stood under it, the moon shone for it looked ever so mesmerizing and in that moment, while I waited outside, no thought seemed to worry me for I was feeling at peace under the night sky.