5 | painful idea

That night we had been laying on his couch, Verstappen all cuddled up to me, but we didn't talk. At least not about the drugs, the car races or Luke and his group. And I didn't want to pressure him, didn't want to ruin the moment as I had the feeling that it would only ruin my progress.

The progress I had made in getting him to trust me. So I had been holding him in my arms while he had talked about his cats, that also joined us, before he fell asleep against my chest. To be fair I also needed these moments, to calm down and to sort my brain again.

That unexpected kiss had confused and mostly overwhelmed me as I hadn't expected it, especially not after his anger outburst in that elevator. But after taking his drugs he had seemed so different, so shy and even normal.

Which only confirmed my thought of his drug abuse, his withdrawal symptoms were the perfect indicator for that. But the question of why he was doing that, why he needed to consume drugs even though his life was perfect, was still the main question inside my head.

Once Verstappen had fallen asleep I had pushed him off me, quietly standing up and walking over to the kitchen. As I was too scared of him waking up, I had simply taken a few pictures of the drugs before I left his apartment.

Luckily there were a few weeks until the next race Verstappen would participate, so I had some time researching about the drugs. Some of them were just painkillers, but extremely strong ones, high dosed that wasn't legal anymore.

Some others were for the brain, usually used to make the person all dizzy, their mind all blurred, therefore causing quick mood changes, which was strange as they seemed to have the opposite effect on Verstappen.

Nevertheless all of these medicines weren't legal by far and even with the pictures of them in Verstappens apartment, I could easily arrest him right now, rat him out and therefore end his career.

But I didn't want that, not yet, as I needed the full picture, with Luke and his group, even though I had to admit that my focus slightly had shifted to the handsome Dutchman, the celebrity among these criminals.

Unfortunately my boss also noticed that, asking why I wasn't making any progress with the illegal car racing mission, so I had to tell her. Well, not about Verstappen as that was still my secret, he was mine in any way possible and I wouldn't just sit there and watch when she would take the glory for arresting him.

I would be the one doing that, bringing the law to him and safe lives with it, make formula one a drug free sport again, even though I cared very little about these fast cars there. But my boss kept asking and so one day I had told her about the drugs, kept describing it in my reports.

But not all of it, I only mentioned the painkillers once she asked my about the type of drugs as the brain medicine was still not quite clear for me and I didn't want her to freak out about it as this surely was more than just a usual party drug.

With all these of my doings though I kinda worked against the law myself as holding back information was surely not what a police officer should do. But I wanted to protect Verstappen, if that makes any sense, I wanted nobody to know about him.

All because I wanted the glory for ratting him out, ending his career, shocking the world. It should be me, so as long as this mission wasn't over, Verstappen was mine. Not in any personal way though.

This kiss was way too extrem for me already, making the lines between personal and professional feelings very blurry, but they needed to be straight, especially as he was the main criminal in this, a drug addict that kept putting other drivers in danger.

But every detail of my plan that had to do with him was blurry and I was confused about it, which was why I didn't really had a plan for today's race, where the Dutchman would be present again.