6 | twisted reactions

Tonight was quite busy as I had a meeting with my boss at the station beforehand, now quickly driving over to today's race location. Luckily my wound had healed quickly, only a big scar was left on my stomach.

There had been two race events in the meantime and while I had won the one last week, the one before I wasn't driving. Still I was there, talked to my mates and also Luke. The Frenchman was slowly but surely also starting to trust me as it now had been moths that I was part of the group.

He even had told me something about the drugs and we ended up agreeing that if I would win then he would give me some, to distribute in my club. The one I was working in, in his eyes. Of course he wanted the money from that, almost all of it, but it was a step into the right direction.

So this week I had been selling these drugs, well not really, but he believed it, as I told him that I had sold almost all of the painkillers, handing him the money just after my arrival. Now I was standing with Tyler again, talking while all the other men arrived.

It now had been quite a time since I had seen the Dutchman even though I had to admit that I had watched the formula one races, always smiling once he was on screen. All for research obvious, but besides some painful expressions on his face there was nothing weird, nothing that would out him as a drug addict between all these athletes.

"Oh no, look who's coming." Tyler suddenly sighed and gestured over to Verstappen, "He surely wants to ask you again if you could let him win. Rich asshole."

I laughed and agreed with him, still feeling a sharp pain in my chest as I called him like that.

"I'll manage that." I waved at Tyler, who only nodded his head before he stepped away, spitting in front of Verstappen, who was walking over.

"Oh my god Perceval, are you okay?" he asked worried once he had reached me, his hand even laying on my arm.

I flinched and pulled it back, nervously looking around. It wasn't that I didn't like it, no, quite the opposite, but it was dangerous as it would only bring bad attention to me and would be dangerous for my mission.

"I'm fine yeah." I therefore quickly returned, seeing how Verstappen's smile faded at my harsh and cold words.

The Dutchman though didn't get my sign to step away, he even came closer again, lowering his voice.

"I just took my last pill, I don't have more, so if I will shout at you later am I so sorry." he whispered and his voice was shaking.

I even saw a tear running down his cheek, which he quickly brushed away with his hand.

"It's okay." I returned before some other words left my mouth that were definitely not coming from my head, more from my heart and buried feelings inside it, "We can drive home together again if you want? Talk there a little as I think Luke and the others don't appreciate if we do that here."

I had no guess why I had said that, more or less forming an alliance with him. But there were some feelings inside me and something told me that he trusted me, that he wouldn't rat me out to Luke.

Of course I would never tell him my true name and job and stuff like that, he was still a criminal, a criminal that I would arrest, but I needed some more information and him trusting me was only helping that part.

"Sure." Verstappen returned, finally stepping away while a smile laid on his lips, "I would love that."

He then walked over to some of his mates and I sighed, looking after him before I walked over to Tyler.

"And, did he begged you to lose today?" he asked and I quickly slipped into my role again and laughed.

"Yep, but I told him that I'm gonna destroy him tonight." I returned and we all laughed before Luke told us the race plan.