6 | one last time

"We can do that." I breathed before I pulled him into my arms, close to my tears as this was feeling like a heartbreak.

His head laid in the crook of my neck while his arms clung around my lower back. One of hands slowly wandered up his back until the fingers of it were tangled in his hair and I started fondling the back of his head.

"I am so sorry Charlie." Verstappen mumbled and I could swear he was crying.

"It's fine." I returned before I grabbed the back of his thighs and lifted him onto the countertop.

The Dutchman instantly parted his legs to pull me closer before he wrapped them around my hips, his arms crossing behind my head. I wasn't even sure what I was doing here as the man in front of me was still a criminal and drug addict while I was a police officer, the person of and for the law.

Still I enjoyed this here, still I felt things in my stomach I had never felt before. But it wasn't possible. In a few hours I would arrest him and bring and end to this mission, joining the next event with a huge amount of police officers so Luke and all the others would follow the Dutchman into a cell.

But I made a pact with myself. These next few hours I would do exactly what my heart would tell me, ignore all the crazy circumstances and do exactly what Verstappen would want, before then I would throw all these emotions away and arrest him.

It was an easy job and I had acted in so many roles already, so this one surely would be easily done. And it only would be some hours, not days or even weeks like some of my missions.

"And I wondered why you were driving like a pro." Verstappen mumbled while his fingers were playing with the hair on the back of my head, sending a warm feeling down my spine, "You never gave up that easily, also back then."

I couldn't hide a smile as I thought back to our karting times. We never had been that close but we definitely knew each other as we both were one of the bests and always fought so hard against each other, pushing each other to the absolute limits.

"You never made it easy for me though." I returned and slightly leaned back so I could look into his face, a cute little smile on his face, his cheeks all red and puffy from all the crying and break downs earlier this night.

"I never did, that's right." Verstappen chuckled before he mumbled, "I would have never admitted it, but I would have loved to go up the categories with you, to race against you all the way up to F1."

"I know, I wanted that too." I returned, my face dropping as I thought about the reasons why it hadn't been that way.

Verstappen then of course asked for it and while he was comforting me, pulling me even closer towards him, I told him about my father and the lost sponsors and everything. The Dutchman listened all the way and nodded his head.

"But you became a great person still, the idea of you being a police officer suits you." he smiled while his hand brushed over my cheek, "From the beginning I had the feeling that there was something not right about you, you weren't like the others. But I had my own problems so I didn't dig into it, besides you really played your role too well."

"That's my job." I returned, my smile slowly dropping though as I remembered that I would arrest him by sunrise, that he was the bad guy in this mission, a criminal and drug addict.

So I took one last deep breath before I decided to try it one last time.

"But why are you there? How do you come to Luke and Paul? Why do you do that?"

With the last question I was clearly referring to the drugs, but I couldn't say it out loud, my heart still not believing that he was a drug addict.

"Can we lay down, my head hurts." was all Verstappen returned, even pushing me away a little bit so he could jump down from the kitchen island.