6 | dangerous game

After he had picked it up his eyes were glued to the card, reading it while his eyes got bigger. He then looked up and stumbled back a bit, his hand shaking.

"Y... You are a police officer?!" he asked, his voice slowly getting louder, more angry.

Not sure what to return I stayed silent for a moment, which Verstappen took as an opportunity to speak again.

"You lied to me?! You fucking lied to me, told me that you were just a normal guy that was into cars!" the Dutchman shouted, now storming over at me again, "Who hired you? Who told you about me?"

His anger seemed to build up more and more, especially as his eyes scanned the id card again, after which his jaw dropped a little.

"You're Charles Leclerc, Charlie, now I know why you seemed so familiar, why I felt some trust towards you so easily." Verstappen blurred out before his anger took over again, "Did you do that because you're jealous? That I made it and you don't?"

For a moment I felt a sharp pain in my chest as this had been a point. For so many years I had asked myself why these kids had made it and I didn't. Why my father had to die, why I then had had no money to continue.

But I was over this, I had another life now, I had easy jobs and missions. Also this one had seemed easy, until he crossed my path and decided to join the event.

"Please, I... I don't... I swear I had no idea about you being there and" I stuttered, suddenly overwhelmed by the emotions, by the feelings I suddenly felt for him, but also by this whole situation and illegal topics.

When I looked up at him after my short break down I saw him grabbing his head, laying the id card on the counter top before he held onto it for a moment.

"You lied." he then said, his voice shockingly calm, "You lied and I cannot let you destroy that, I need these pills, and you won't take them away from me."

In all my years as police officer I had never felt as scared as I was feeling now. Knowing that the last time he had slapped my face while experiencing his withdrawal symptoms, I was freaking scared of what he would do now.

And I was right as he looked up again, his glassy eyes full of anger, but also disappointment.

"I really like you Charlie, but... you can't destroy this." he mumbled before he suddenly turned and grabbed over at the knife block, wanting to pull one out.

Luckily as a police officer I also had quite a good reaction time so I followed his arm and grabbed the hand, that was already holding the knife, still in the knife block though.

"Don't do this." I nearly begged, feeling how some tears developed in my eyes.

I was so extremely overwhelmed as I knew this wasn't him, that was not the Max Verstappen I had kissed an hour ago, that I had cuddled with all night long a few weeks back. Or maybe that was exactly the real Verstappen, the one without drugs and I had fallen in love with the drug addicted version of him.

No, I hadn't fallen in love, this was still my mission and he was a suspect, he was a criminal that I would arrest, nothing more, I kept telling myself. Still some tears ran down my face while I tried to open his fingers, to pull him away from the knife with which he clearly wanted to hurt me.

"Let me help you, please." I begged, finally managing to step back with him in my arms.

"No! Ahh, fuck that hurts!" he screamed and wriggled in my arms, grabbing his head again before he suddenly sank down.

Slowly I held him against my body while I also knelt down, leaning him against the kitchen island before I rushed up again.

"I'll get you the pills, just wait a second." I blurred out before I walked over to the door, grabbing his keys before I jogged down the stairs into the garage and over to my car.