2 | taking you home

"Where is your car?" the Dutchman breathed once we were far enough from the parking area.

"It's over there." I returned, gesturing at the other side of the street, now happy that I had parked this far away when I had arrived.

Only now, that the adrenaline was fading from us and the surroundings got more quite, Verstappen seemed to notice his hand around my wrist, which was he quickly pulled it back, a quiet "sorry" leaving his mouth.

"No problem." I returned and even smiled at him, which was real.

A real smile even though every other word and emotion I had shown here was fake. As it had to be in an undercover mission. And he was just another criminal, still a special one, but not in a good way.

But as we walked over to my car and I calmed down a little, I went through my plan and next steps, realizing that this was exactly the situation I had wanted. Speaking to Verstappen, and in such circumstances it would be even easier.

Still I didn't want to raise any suspicions which was why I asked the following question.

"Where's your car? Don't you wanna drive home with that one?" I asked and saw Verstappen stopping, who was already opening the passenger door of my car.

"I came with a taxi." he returned shortly, as always, before he still added, "But I can call one if this is too laborious for you."

"No, no, not a problem at all." I returned, maybe even a bit too quick, before I added, "But wait a second."

With that I slipped into my seat, making sure that nothing was laying in my car that wasn't for his eyes, like things that could give away that I was a police officer. That would destroy my whole plan.

"You can come in." I then said as I was sure that my car looked clean and normal, maybe a bit too normal for a 'criminal' I thought, but Verstappen had already fully opened the door.

"Packed away your money and drugs or what?" he chuckled and it was the first time that I saw any emotion in his face, even a little smile shined through.

At this point I wasn't sure which side to pick. I had thought about it, but never expected to come this far this quick so now I had to choose. Either I was playing the criminal and maybe trying to get him to buy something from me, or I was trying to be nice and understandable, which would though quickly show him that I wasn't like the others which would be suspicious.

So I opted for plan number one.

"Yeah, sorry that car was a mess after my last delivery." I said and gestured around before my eyes stilled on him, "But if you want some I can surely find a full packe somewhere here."

I let out a fake, by now trained, laugh while the Dutchman sank even deeper into his seat, pulling the sleeves of his, or better my, sweater over his hands.

"No thanks." was all he said before he looked out of the window, not even pulling the hood of his head.

Great Charles, you messed everything up, I told myself and punched my face in my mind. But I also learned something from it, or better it caused me to get even more curious, to have even more question marks in my head.

Maybe he wasn't a drug addict like I thought he was. Maybe this story was bigger, way bigger, maybe even formula one had something to do with it, who knew. Surely Verstappen did, but it didn't seem like he was gonna tell me all about it.

Also maybe he didn't trust me enough. Surely he had known Luke for longer now, so buying drugs from him was safe, other than it was with me, whom he knew for a bit over a week now though we hadn't shared more then two words with each other before tonight.