Chapter 3: The Path Slayer Kael

Aiden

"And what are you doing here in The Garden of Untold?"

So this is The Garden of Untold. I never knew that I'd find it so easily-not exactly how I expected. I thought it would be somewhere far away from Luminara.

I stepped back because this man in front of me keeps on swinging his scythe as he walks towards me.

"I never knew that this is The Garden of Untold." I answered. "I just accepted a commission; I thought I just needed to answer riddles and puzzles, but I'm wrong. It leads me here. That piece of paper that I'm holding a while ago is also missing." I explained.

"Witches are not welcome here." binalaan niya ako at huminto mula sa paglalakad. "Leave this place. Sundin mo ang sinabi ko at huwag ka na ulit bumalik dito." He said. Just as the scythe vanished into mist and was never seen again, so was the coldness of his words.

"I'm afraid I cannot do that." I calmly said. Yes, I was raised a witch, and I will never be ashamed of that. Nana Babaylan taught me enchantments and took care of me like I was her own. "I mean no harm, I just accepted this commission for me to be able to have the opportunity to develop my skills." He looked me in the eye. His eyes were a beautiful ruby that was utterly mesmerizing, a captivating combination of danger and seduction. Its captivating brilliance drew me in and left me in shock, much like a predator luring its prey into an unbreakable trap. They had such a seductive look that it was hard to look away. "A Path Slayer, huh?" I accidentally read his mind. Slipping through his bit of memory, I was able to know who and what he is.

"That's why Witches are not allowed here. Aiden Blake Carter, is it? A bounty was sent earlier this morning, I accepted it. Someone wants you dead." I was not surprised or shocked. I was always aware that this day would arrive. What puzzled me, though, was how he, a so-called Path Slayer, could consent to go after a witch. How could someone of his stature do such a thing? It was impossible.

"I know the rules of Path Slayers, you can't kill a Witch. Simply because you do not have the blessings of the 7 Keeps. Kaya salamat dahil kinumpirma mong ito ang hinahanap ko." I just thank him instead. Muli ay tiningnan ko ang lugar kung saan kagabi lamang ay galing narin ako rito. " Chosen by the Seven Keeps to guard the kingdoms of Lyrosia, the Path Slayers are a force to be reckoned with. Scattered across the land, they are power-hungry and ruthless, bowing to authority when it serves their interests. Once selected, each Slayer is bound by an unbreakable vow that ties them to their duty for life. Refusal of this oath is rare, and those who do are condemned to death. The heavier punishments are spoken of only in whispers, as no one has survived to tell the tale. Their dedication to their duty is absolute, and they will not hesitate to hunt down their targets, even if it means killing those they once knew." I said.

The Path Slayer summoned his Deadly Scythe again, the blade shining in his hand as it appeared. The terrifying sound of its edge slicing through the air sent chills down my spine, like if it was about to rend flesh apart. At the time, I realized I had no way out if we got into a fight. Neither my courage nor my fighting ability prepared me for battle. So, with unsteady hands and a heavy heart, I gave up, trusting that a Slayer may yet be kind. "Fine. I will follow you but in one condition."

"Wala kang status. You're just a witch. What makes you think I can accept your condition?" halata sa boses niya ang inis.

"I know something about you." I stared directly into his eyes. In a rare moment of vulnerability, I managed to catch him off guard. Seizing the opportunity, I delved into his memories, uncovering a hidden truth that lay buried within his mind. As I sifted through the fragments of his past, I discovered an intriguing secret-one that promised to shift the balance of power and perhaps even change the course of our fates. "Huh?!" I'm in shock.

Hindi ko alam kung maaawa ako sakanya o matutuwa. The Path Slayers are known for their brutality and sense of justice, but knowing that secret. I cannot fathom the fact that it is very harsh and sad at the same time. "Tell me what's the heaviest punishment a Path Slayer could receive? "

I raised both of my hands halfway to let him know that I'm not gonna do anything or try to attack him.

"No one knows!" he shouted. Nabitawan niya rin ang kanyang weapon sa pagkakataranta niya. Hindi siya lumilingon sa akin dahil alam niya na ang kaya kong gawin. "AHHHH!!" He roared so loudly that it should have echoed throughout the skies. Despite the furious tone of his cry, it appeared to reach only me, piercing through the silence as if the world had turned a deaf ear to his distress. I chuckled; it's merely a question, but he's terrified to answer it. I remembered what Nana Babaylan told me about intention and purpose, and I used it effectively. My intention is for him to experience fear for the first time. What is my purpose? I want to know the Path Slayer's secret.

"You didn't know or couldn't tell? You witnessed it, and even the 7 Keeps couldn't hide it. Tell me in exchange for my life. The secret lying beneath your weapon is known even by the enigmatic city of Luminara and this enchanted garden in the woods. So, even if you don't tell me what it is, I am capable of knowing it. I am a witch, after all." I confidently speak. "I do not wish for a fight, I just want to have this moment. The Garden of Untold is not a secret to be kept hidden her in the woods." With a snap of my fingers, I created an imperceptible wall between us. I turned and left him behind, walking into the Garden of Untold without thinking. It was a strange, but not wholly unfamiliar, shift in dimensions as soon as I stepped through the entrance. I carefully opened the door to reveal a little, box-shaped table with a book on it that looked to be unread but was actually ready to be read.

The book appeared to be surrounded by a fluctuating halo of strange energies, all of which radiated an almost physical presence from another world. A strong, captivating feeling gripped me as I stared at it, drawing me in with an overwhelming pull. The unsettling voice from yesterday reappeared, its murmurs winding around my thoughts in a darkly familiar way, as though urging me to read the pages and discover the mysteries they hold.

I felt a great rush of energy surge at me and sent me hurtling out of the Garden just as I was about to reach out and touch the book. It felt like I was under the weight of the deepest pits in the ocean, a constant weight that could have crushed my whole body at any time. The pressure was so intense that it overpowered my senses and made me feel as though I were on the verge of complete death.

----

I don't know if this woman in front of me is a queen or something else entirely. She is so powerfully aurated that nobody dares approach her while she is crowned. Is she a living legend, or just a mystery shrouded in ambiguity? When she talks, her words have a gentle murmur that contrasts sharply with the aura of power she exudes. Her voice is filled with reassuring gentleness. A group of black-clad martyrs gather close by, appearing happy and unified. But beyond their cheerful exteriors, one can question whether things are truly as they seem or whether there are unresolved issues.

I walked but another scene changed the entirety of the place.

The name Issabella Darkmore, a queen from an unknown place, emerges from the depths of this memory. Her name has always lingered in my dreams, a puzzle I can't solve. What ties her to the mysterious woman I saw in my vision?

------

I woke up. Nasa loob ako ng isang kwarto na ngayon ko lamang nakita, may lamesa sa tabi ng kamang hinihigaan ko, may pagkaing nakalagay dito. Tsaka ko lamang napagtantong nasa bahay ako ng isang taong hindi ko kilala.

"You're awake."

From across the bed came a rich and captivating voice that was quite familiar to me. I turned to see him relaxing there with his arms crossed and a carefree charm. He was sitting in a relaxed manner, yet there was something quite alluring about the way he held himself, as though he had been observing me from the time I went to sleep until now.

"Kael"