Chapter 16: The Arcane Sentinels

Aiden

The beautiful glow of the departing night light filled the cobblestone lanes of Luminara as Louisito and I walked side by side, leaving behind my humble home. The air was chilly, and the city's enchanting hum felt distant as the two of us gazed around, each deep in concentration.

"You've been through a lot, Aiden. Most people wouldn't have survived what you did" Louisito glancing up at me while walking beside me quietly.

"I still can't believe it, Louisito. Why me? Why now? Someone's actually out there... trying to kill me." I sighed, moving my sight from the streets to the city's distant buildings. My mind was still fighting to comprehend the threat that hung over me.

"Do you have any idea why, though? There must be a reason." Louisito tilted his head, his sleek fur reflecting softly in the light of the adjacent lamps. His eyes, which were far more expressive in his Seraphel form, narrowed thoughtfully.

"No. I only know what the Shadow Vanguard stated the last time they ambushed me. They kept referring to me as a 'lone witch.' Even the Path Slayers appeared confused as to why they were pursuing me." I answered Louisito.

"That's odd. The Path-Slayers... They rarely behave without a clear reason. But I guess that's how they work. Ruthless. Unrelenting" Louisito furrowed his brow, his feline features tense with thought.

Our conversation came to a sudden stop as we saw something ahead. A gang of four males surrounded a young girl a short distance down the street. Their voices were low and aggressive, but the girl's posture and desperate calls for aid showed she was in danger.

"Please! Stop! I don't have anything! Just let me go!"

My pulse rushed with adrenaline, and before I could fully grasp the situation, my feet began to move. I ran towards the men without hesitation.

"Hoy! Get away from her!" I shouted.

Suddenly, a burst of red energy sparked from my hand, spiraling into existence without my control. A glowing crimson aura engulfed the men, locking them in place. With uncontrollable force, I flung them aside, their bodies falling into the neighboring walls like ragdolls.

The girl looked in amazement, her eyes wide, as the guys groaned from where they had landed.

Louisito, watching from a few paces back, appeared astonished, his fur bristling with surprise.

"Aiden! How-how did you do that?" Louisito's so confused.

"I don't know... I didn't even think. It just... happened." I looked down at my hands, the red aura fading, my breathing uneven.

The girl, her legs trembling, raced toward Me and Louisito, clutching the hem of her modest, worn-out garment.

"Thank you... thank you both! I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't helped."

She was petite, with her long dark hair twisted back into a messy braid. Her emerald eyes were filled with both fear and gratitude, and her skin was pale, indicating a life without much sunlight. She appeared to be no more than fifteen years old, but her voice belied her age.

"It's alright. I'm just glad you're safe." I smiled softly at her, hoping the gentle curve of my lips would mask the storm of emotions swirling deep within, each thought more chaotic than the last, threatening to spill over.

Louisito, evidently frightened by what he witnessed, approached me warily.

"We need to be careful next time. What happened back there... that wasn't normal. That power... it was new." He told me with a careful tone on his voice.