Chapter 14: Old Friend

Aiden

As I hurriedly returned to the house, I made sure to grab Nana Babaylan's diary. With a quick motion, I threw a protection spell over her room, ensuring that no one, regardless of their power, could enter unless I lifted it myself. I put on my cloak, which blended into the shadows, and my mind raced with ideas. I understood the risk was high. The city was filled with Path Slayers, and I could very well run across another group at any moment. But I had no choice. My Grimoire was inside where I'm currently residing, and I needed it.

Hindi ako tumatakbo ngunit mabilis akong naglalakad. Liko rito, liko roon, pasok dito, at pasok doon. Para lang makaiwas sa kahit ano mang encounter sa mga Path Slayers, kinakailangan kong gawin iyon.

I darted through Luminara City's narrow spaces, my heart pounding in my chest. The ancient stone streets seemed to twist and close in around me, and the charm of the city hung in the air. My cloak billowed behind me, and the discomfort I'd felt for miles intensified with each step. Someone or something was following me. I felt the weight of invisible eyes on my back.

I slowed my pace, looking over my shoulder. The roads behind me were empty. However, the presence had not vanished. Years of magic had strengthened my instincts, which warned of danger.

"Nihareth... Loxentara... Viros..." I mumbled under my breath, getting ready to cast a spell in the old tongue to flush out my pursuer. My hands began to glow with a faint, changing energy, but just as I was about to let it go, a little sound interrupted the silence, a tiny whimper.

I froze, my spell fading on my lips.

A small creature emerged from the shadows, spherical and fluffy as could be. Its fur was a lush, creamy white with silver and gold patches that shimmered in low light. Two huge, gleaming eyes peered up at me, their tiny ears twitching frantically. It was charming, like something from a child's dream, with tiny paws that scarcely made a sound as it approached.

"What... what are you?" I blinked, lowering my hands slightly.

The creature's little mouth opened, and to my surprise, it spoke. Its voice was delicate but clear. "Aiden, it's me. Louisito."

The name hit me like a shockwave, sending a jolt through my entire being. My heart skipped a beat, confusion and disbelief swirling in my mind. "Louisito?" I whispered, barely able to form the word. Could it really be him? My Louisito, my beloved talking cat, who I thought had vanished forever, somehow returned? I took a step back, and my pulse is racing. "Paano? Anong nangyari sayo? I though—"

"I died, Aiden. I was... I was killed." The creature, Louisito, dropped his head, sadness spreading across his gentle features.

My breath caught in my throat. Flashbacks surged over me, including the violent battle the onslaught by Grim Reaper-like creatures, and Nana Babaylan's valiant defense of them. It had been a flurry of magic and tragedy. I had been compelled to leave Nana and Louisito to fulfill her final wish. But Louisito had never followed. I had expected the worst.

"You.. died? But how are you here, then?" My voice cracked. I felt a tightness in my chest, and disbelief gnawed at my thoughts.

Louisito's large, gentle eyes welled up with tears as he glanced up at me. "I couldn't follow you. Nana Babaylan. She was fighting those beasts to defend us. One of those... It stabbed me." He stopped, his voice shaking. "I thought that was the end. My body gave out, and I died."

I gripped my fist. I remembered feeling helpless as I was forced to leave them behind, believing Nana and Louisito would hold their ground.

"My soul wandered, searching for you in this huge city. Luminara is so vast, Aiden. I didn't know if I'd ever find you. Then I found this body, this little creature... it had no soul, and I... I took it. I didn’t know what else to do." Louisito spoke again tears falling while looking at me.