Chapter 10: Troubles of Aiden

Aiden

I'll take the necessary action. I can't trust anyone, therefore going forward, I'll guard myself.

"Aegis obscura, tuta domus, ab hostibus tege" I murmured, my words echoing through the silence.

I waved my hand through the air, creating a shimmering energy barrier that swirled around the house and me with every phrase. Magic crackled in the air, creating an unseen barrier that gave the area a tangible sensation of security.

I moved forward deliberately as I got ready for the next incantation when I felt the energy settle. Now that the danger was so close, I had to make sure I wouldn't be noticed.

"Velum invisibilitatis, oculis latere!" I continued, the rhythm of my words unwavering. A veil of shimmering light engulfed me as I spoke, merging me into the room's shadows. I was relieved that I could hide with this spell and remain invisible to anyone who might go to look for me.

Finally, I readied the final spell of protection. I gathered my strength for the final mantra of protection and stood firmly. It felt like the air was charging in response to my call.

Elysium clausura,” I proclaimed, the final words spilling forth with conviction, “non invenietur, nisi ego volo!”

The air pulsated and shimmered with this incantation, enclosing the house so that inquisitive eyes could not see it. My cocoon of safety, a promised haven from the outer world, began to weigh heavily on me as the enchantment took hold.

I stood motionless, a mixture of expectation and resolve, while the final traces of my spell vanished. I was prepared for whatever came next, having done everything I could to protect my house and myself.

Hindi ako nakaramdam ng gutom.

Nanghihina man ay kinakaya ko paring makakilos at maglabas ng tatlong sunod sunod na enchantments para narin sa kaligtasan ko. I know Kael only did that because he's still one of them, but still I'm not prepared for betrayals.

Then, I remembered something.

"Kael needs your constant attention to make sure he doesn't fall into their trap."

"Valeria said you’d need my constant attention... but I wasn’t there." I while rubbing my temples as though the ideas were physically burdening me. "I let you fall into their hands. If only I knew..."

"Sa kwarto ni Nana Babaylan"

Ayan nanaman ang bulong. Hindi na ako nag sayang ng oras para hanapin ito. Agad pumukaw sa paningin ko ang pintuang nasa harapan ko agad, ang kwarto ni Nana Babaylan.

I proceed towards Nana Babaylan's room.. With every step, the air becomes cooler, and the walls are coated in a subtle aroma of herbs and dust.

"This is it." I whispered. The creak of the door as I pushed it open echoed through the quiet. I'm in complete shock by what I see.

The room... untouched by time.

The room is dimly lit, exactly as it was years ago when we said goodbye, thanks to the weak glow of an old lamp. It appears as though she had never left and could enter at any time.

"This... can’t be... it hasn’t changed." my voice is trembling in disbelief.

As I step inside, my heart races as I take in every detail, bringing back long-forgotten memories.

"Why... why does it feel like I was meant to come here... now?"

-Flashback-

Tension surrounds the room. I take a seat at the old wooden table and hold on to its edge like I'm ready for anything. Nana Babaylan is standing by the window across from me, her ancient staff securely encircled by her crooked fingers. The staff's ancient, twisted wood is engraved with powerful and protective symbols. She is covered with long shadows from the hearth's soft glow, which gives the impression that she is both fragile and unbreakable.