Chapter 9: Trapped in the dark

Aiden

I remember when I was a kid, me and Nana Babaylan once talked about something.

"Nana, even though you've taught me everything, I still don't really understand a lot. Is it true when you mention that the Coven of the Wyrd has twelve members as you said previously?" I asked Nana Babaylan.

"Yes, little one. The Coven consists of twelve formidable witches. But beware, Aiden. It can be risky to even know someone's name, let alone address them directly. I have never told you their names for that reason." Leaning on her staff, Nana Babaylan's presence was both calming and commanding, her gaze soft but unwavering.

"But Nana, why? I thought that knowing more about them would make this world easier for me to comprehend." inosenteng tanong ko kay Nana Babaylan,

"Knowing too much tends to attract unwelcome attention. Their secrets and their power are not to be taken lightly. It's safer for you to learn from a distance for now." Nana Babaylan maintained a strong grip on her staff, her gentle smile serving as a subtle counterpoint to her powerful posture.

"Are... are you part of the Coven?" tanong ko sakanya out of curiosity.

"I am, Aiden. I have been there for a while, but you don't need to worry about me there. My obligations to them and you are not the same." Nana Babaylan pauses, her fingers lightly tracing the carvings on her staff.

"Then why didn't you tell me? Why don't you tell me more?" I frown in confusion.

"Since certain things aren't yet ready for you to carry. You will understand eventually. You see, little one, it's not always necessary to have all the answers at once. It involves being able to interpret the actions of others and motivations." As she knelt with the support of her staff, Nana Babaylan's voice remained calm and radiated warmth.

"You mean, like... knowing why someone does what they do?" I'm intrigued.

"That's right. Motives are what drive the actions of others. But you have to get to know them before you can realize that. You will start to sense the truth underlying their acts through that link, which you could describe as an unseen thread. That connection will convey far more to you than any words could." Nana Babaylan gave a nod, the soft tap of her staff echoing as she rose to stand.

"Paano? Wala akong Kaibigan o kahit sino man na malapit sa akin, ikaw lang." ang tanging nasabi ko sakanya.

"Diyan yan nagsisimula, Aiden." ngumiti siya. "It all begins with time and trust. You'll eventually find your way to other people, just as we've developed our relationship over these years. You'll get the ability to discern their reality and look beyond surfaces. Little one, learn patience from this. Just like you've grown into your gifts, you'll grow into it." she then rested both of her hands on top of her staff.

"I'll try, Nana. I want to understand... people, their actions, everything" I'm very determined to say that.

"And you will. But keep in mind, not all truths are simple to discover. Some are better left unseen, and some are best kept secret. However, I'm here to help you at all times." Nana Babaylan smiled fondly, her staff glowing faintly as she watched me with quiet pride.

Now back to reality. I'm trapped in the dark.

It was so fast that I didn't even notice. Shadow surrounded me outside the tavern as if the darkness devoured me.

"How can an unknown witch a threat?" I hear Valeria's voice. Natawa ako sa sinabi nya, akala mo hindi kami magakausap kagabi lamang.

I swallowed really hard. "This is it, I'm dead." bulong ko sa sarili ko.