Chapter 13: The Crimson Covenant

The air was dense with an unnerving silence, interrupted only by the odd flutter of leaves, a distant whisper of the wind, and the gentle, sad chime of unseen bells echoing through the foggy expanse of the Garden of Untold. Shadows swirled among the ancient trees, their gnarled limbs sending long fingers across the ground, as the moon battled to shine through the thick clouds overhead. The garden contained secrets, its essence steeped in history, and the earth's soft sigh hinted at long-forgotten stories.

Kael stood at the edge of a shadowy woods, lost in meditation. The twisting vines and overgrown blooms appeared to curl inward, as if yearning to hide him from the world. He felt the weight of his past crushing against him, memories of Luminara entwined with the darkness that now surrounded him. The Vanguard had assembled, their voices low and urgent.

"Voidborn," Clisandro talked, his voice silky but tinged with frustration. "You were born and raised in Luminara. You must understand the city's mysteries. Why should it be destroyed? Why should Aiden be killed?"

Kael stayed silent, his mind racing with ideas he couldn't express. The image of Aiden, with his upbeat energy and the weight of fate on his shoulders, flickered in his thoughts like a dying candle flame. Valeria took a step closer, her presence providing a comforting warmth against the garden's chill.

"Kael." She said, her voice as quiet as a breeze, "Aiden is safe someplace. Kailangan mong maniwala. He doesn't think you're betraying him." She reached out, brushing her fingers on his arm for reassurance. "If we meet him again, you and I must put up a performance. We cannot let the others suspect anything."

The shadows darkened and the air became thicker as Kael turned to face her, his gaze clouded with uncertainty. "What if he's no longer just a boy?" What if he is something worse?" He mumbled, horror creeping into his voice.

Mira stepped forward, her gazes are sharp . "The restriction spell has been lifted from this forest. We assumed only those raised here could enter, but here we are."

"Was it lifted or destroyed?"" Alaric intervened, his tone suspicious, scrutinizing the garden's darker walkways, as if expecting danger to emerge from the shadows.

Valeria nodded, her expression solemn. "And if Aiden is the lone one, or the reincarnation of something terrible, we need to be ready. The history of the Coven of the Wyrd is intertwined with the fate of Luminara. The rumors about the Battle of the Angels… what did Lucian really do? Why did he stop in the middle of it?”

The weight of their mission rested heavily on them. "We need to kill Aiden Blake Carter," Kael replied, struggling with his emotions. "The Seven Keeps are hiding something from us. Something concerning the corrupted seas of the Abyssia Kingdom. Didn't Viraesca Moonshadow accidentally curse it?"

"Pero asan na siya ngayon?” Mira asked, her voice cutting through the tension. “The Order of the Written Word has been silent on that front. We need answers.”

The garden appeared to be listening, its silence enveloping them. A faint rustle echoed, sending a shiver through the shadows. The remaining Path Slayers were distributed across the city, hidden but ever-watchful. As they stood at the crossroads of destiny, surrounded by uncertainty, the prospect of betrayal loomed.

Kael sensed Valeria's presence alongside him, grounding him as he grappled with the severity of their decisions. "We must be careful," he mumbled, as the darkness of the garden closing in. "In this place, the past and future entwine, and every choice carries a weight we can't yet understand."

As they stood there in the Garden of Untold, the air was filled with secrets, and echoes of history resonated, entwining their futures in a tapestry of shadows and whispers.