Chapter 12: Keeper of Prophecy

Aiden

"Nana Babaylan, have you looked into the future again"

I woke up.

Narito ako sa kwarto ni Nana Babaylan nakatulog. Napaka tahimik ng paligid, napansin kong hawak ko parin ang diary kaya nilapag ko ito sa kama ni Nana Babaylan.

With this new knowledge, it is obvious that time is of the essence. I must leave here and carefully plan my journey through the Garden of Untold, because it is where I really need to go. First, I must return to the house where I am staying and retrieve my Grimoire. It's the only weapon I can truly claim as my own. I may have little else, but I can conceal without relying on anyone, especially since the Path Slayers are still on the hunt.

I must increase my attentiveness at all times. I should keep a close eye on my surroundings, employing subtle magic to detect disruptions or look for signs of pursuit. Shadows could hold enemies or informants of the Path Slayers, so I need to trust only what  I see with my own eyes.

Second, I need to figure out how to enter the Garden of Untold without getting noticed by the Slayers. Valeria reminded me that the restriction spell had been removed, and that anyone who was not born or raised in Luminara might now freely enter the forest.

Nana Babaylan's room is softly lit, with the aroma of old herbs lingering in the air. I stand in the center, tense, the air heavy with the weight of memories. Suddenly, a subtle shimmer draws my attention to a striking figure with an ethereal presence, her tall, slender physique exuding silent strength. She has long, silver-blonde hair that runs down her back, framing her pale, almost translucent complexion. Her eyes are a penetrating shade of violet, keen and concentrated, as if they look far beyond the present moment, giving the appearance that she is constantly deep in meditation or contemplating some secret truth.

"The moon speaks in whispers, yet it has no tongue. The wind carries secrets, yet leaves no trace. Tell me, Aiden Blake Carter, what lies between silence and a storm." The woman suddenly speaks.

"I… don’t know what you’re talking about. Who are you, and how did you even get in here? I placed shields all around the house, no one should be able to enter without my say." I narrowed my eyes in confusion, struggling to make sense of her words.

"The key to any door is not in the hand that holds it, but in the heart that understands the way. Some walls are designed to break under the weight of truth, not force. So, once again, what lies between silence and a storm?" She smiled gently, her voice smooth and laced with mystery.

"That doesn't answer my question! The barrier should have stopped you. How did you bypass it? What exactly do you want?" I furrowed my brow, frustration evident on my face.

"A flame dances in the dark, yet the heat is not felt. A shadow follows, but is never seen. The home protects what it knows, yet the unknown passes through like water through cracks." She moved forward, her eyes studying me carefully, as though figuring out how important I was. "Now tell me, Aiden, what makes a fortress vulnerable?"

"I'm not keeping up with any of this. I don't know how to solve your riddles. Just give me a straight answer! You're talking about fortresses, shadows, and flames. How did you get in?" I sighed, rubbing my temple in frustration as confusion washed over me.

"Straight routes lead to crooked ends, Aiden. The shortest route is never the safest. Perhaps the question is not how I arrived, but why I am here." She glances around Nana Babaylan’s room, her gaze lingering on a few artifacts. "The walls remember, even if you do not."

"What exactly are you talking about? I do not have time for this! The prophecy, the Path Slayers... I don't need any more riddles right now. If you're here for a reason, please explain why!" My patience was running out, and I couldn't help but raise my voice slightly to express my rising irritation.