Chapter 4: Motive

Aiden

"Kael."

"That's the reason why witches are not allowed here. This is my Territory." His voice was steady and serious, his eyes never leaving mine, as though he were probing me for answers. But something in his demeanor seemed... relieved. When he said this was his territory, confusion set in. Path Slayers weren't supposed to have homes-what made him different? "And the secret you're asking for is not for me to tell...." He stopped. "Walang sino man ang puwedeng makaalam 'non. You witches also have rules, yes? If you ask someone a question, you should always expect a willing response from them, no matter if they are your victim, your piece of prey, or someone else to control. It's key that they feel empowered to make decisions and that their opinions are their own. You take what you need in this way, correct?" He asked me.

Tumayo ako sa pagkakahiga at tumungo ng bintana sa likuran niya. Nakita ko ang maliwanag na buwan at tahimik na paligid. Na realize ko na malapit lang pala siya sa forest kung nasaan ang The Garden of Untold.

"Hindi lahat ng witch na alam mo ay ganon." I simply answered him.

"I'm talking about you. You are that kind of a witch." muli ay nagsalita siya. Tumayo siya at lumapit sa akin, napaatras ako dahil baka kung ano ang gawin niya sa akin. "Relax, I won't harm you here, at least not today." sabi niya. "You embody the essence of mystery, just like the letter I received earlier with your bounty. The message referenced a young boy from Luminara, who is claimed to be the last witch wandering the city. It looks that both you and a mysterious stranger are shrouded in mystery, their stories intertwining in the shadows of this fascinating place." He explained.

He then gives me the letter. I accepted it, then walked away from him to read the letter.

To the Curious One,

A young boy who exudes mystery establishes his home in the heart of a city whose name has become obscure. It is said that he is the lone remaining wandering witch, a living being from old folklore that prowls these deserted streets; nevertheless, it is unclear if he actually came from here or has only become entangled with it. Even he is not entirely aware of the nature or significance of the secrets he bears since they are so well hidden. His reality is as elusive as the city itself, so as you try to piece together his story, be prepared to find more questions than answers.

-Viraesca

"Viraesca?" I asked. Nagkibit balikat lamang siya at naglakad palabas ng kwarto. Who's Viraesca?

"I don't know what your motivation is. Everything in Luminara City is veiled in mystery, including the Garden of Untold, which represents the city's secrets. Layers of buried realities obscure the true character of the city, which is built on riddles left by the garden. Few dare to make the journey through the garden required to comprehend Luminara." He said before going out. I was left here in this room thinking, Why the hell did I say earlier that it's for me to develop my skills?

I can't afford to take the chance of trusting the Path Slayer, so I've taken precautions to make sure I'm safe. The door serves as a figure of authority in addition to being an entrance. I have enchanted it with an uncertain spell that looks into the minds of people who try to pass through. The enchantment would kill the Path Slayer with deadly accuracy, forfeiting his life in a moment, if he even considers hurting me as he passes.

"Where are you, Nana Babaylan?" tanong ko sa aking sarili pagkabalik ko sa kama. "Sino si Viraesca?" madaming tanong agad ang nabuo sa aking isipin. It's like I need answers right away. "Kael, what's your motive?" I'm pertaining to the Path Slayer. Kael Mikairos Voidborn, the man that you are.

After seeing the horrific death of a Path Slayer, Kael begins to rethink his decision. Though he is plagued by the thought that killing might be a necessary evil, he can't help but want to flee after learning the horrifying truth about the Path Slayers' punishment. But he is bound to a destiny he cannot avoid by the baggage of his history and the weight of his obligation, that's the memory I saw when I looked through his mind.