Chapter 8: Friend or Foe

Aiden

I can still hear the woman's words as Kael and I leave, their intensity hinting at deeper meanings that are just out of grasp. I'm left wondering about the hidden meanings underlying her confusing tone since it seems like her message has a weight I can't quite understand.

"Gaano mo na siya katagal ka kilala?" tanong ko kay Kael, andito parin kami sa Underground Alley nitong Durinel Village.

"Simula ng maging Path Slayer ako." sagot nito ng walang tinginan sa akin.

"If she has influence, why didn't I know anything about her? I didn't even hear rumors or gossip about her." tanong ko ulit sakanya.

"Binansagan siyang forgotten witch bago pa man ako maging Path Slayer." Maikling paliwanag nito.

"I thought she could help us but you're wrong" I said to him. Hindi niya nalang ako pinansin at nagpatuloy sa paglalakad.

Nakasunod lamang ako sakanya ngunit may napansin akong kakaiba na kanina ko pa nararamdaman magmula ng kami ay pumasok dito.

I sensed something as Kael guided me into the dark, winding corridors of Durinel Village's Underground Alley. It started as a weak, phantom feeling, but it quickly became something far more concrete: there was someone I recognized. I could only see his figure through the heavy curtain of shadows. He remained there, his movements skillfully concealed, almost as if he wanted me to be aware of his presence. I couldn't shake the unsettling feeling that he wasn't just watching from a distance, or that he was trying to tell me something strange that I hadn't expected.

------

Felicia Duskveil is taken aback by an unexpected guest following Aiden and Kael's departure. Rhea Sablehart, a witch affiliated with the Coven of the Wyrd who is well-known for her premonitory visions. Rhea asks Felicia how she's doing, and the two test each other's intelligence and wits with a series of cryptic riddles. As both ladies realize the significance of their meeting and the deeper ties between their futures become apparent, the tension in the environment intensifies.

"The weaver of vision herself, Rhea Sablehart. What is the pleasure owed to me? Has a prophecy emerged?" Felicia Smirks.

"Alternatively, a loose end. Felicia, tell me, how can a shadow get light?" With a glint of mischief in her eyes, Rhea turned her attention to Felicia.

"By accepting the dark, as without it, the light is but a passing memory. But describe for me, Rhea, what hovers just below the realm of dreams but never quite takes off." Felicia once again throw a riddle.

With a subtle shift, Rhea leaned closer to Felicia, their conversation intensifying

"A wish unspoken, trapped within the silence of the heart. But you, dear Felicia, are familiar with such constraints, are you not?" Rhea talked back.

"I have, in fact, come to terms with the burden of unrealized potential. Tell me, though, what grows out of the ashes of despair." Felicia sighed.

"Hope, strong and resolute, waiting for the appropriate opportunity to rise. Shall you tend to it or will you allow it to wither under your hands?" Rhea spoke again.

"Maybe a gardener has to look after her own roots before aiming high. However, Rhea, tell me if your prophecy will loosen or tighten the bonds of fate." With a moment of silence, Felicia remained still, her mind deep in contemplation

"That, dear Felicia, is for you to decipher. The future is ever-shifting, just like the riddles we share. Choose wisely." Rhea's smile was a puzzle, intriguing and full of unspoken meaning.