ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 251

ᴘᴇᴀᴋᴡᴇsᴛ: ᴛs | 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐭𝐡 𝐄𝐧𝐝 : 𝐑𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭 𝐂𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐲

____________________________________

The grand marble floor gleamed under the soft light pouring through the arched windows of Heavenlys Castle. Banners of gold and silver hung from the towering walls, symbolizing the glory and history of the clans that resided here. Despite the elegant surroundings, the atmosphere in the main hall was tense, filled with a weight of anticipation.

Jack shifted his weight from one foot to the other, his arms crossed over his chest, while Hakai stood beside him, gazing off into the distance.

"Today the results of this month end would be released, right?" Jack asked.

"Yeah," Hakai replied calmly, though his voice carried a noticeable edge, as if he had already resigned himself to the outcome. His eyes stayed fixed on the horizon through the towering windows.

"What do you think, who's gonna win?" Jack inquired.

Hakai let out a soft sigh, rubbing his chin. "Surely Muzan."

There was no hesitation in his voice. Jack grimaced at the name, feeling a familiar pang of resentment rise within him.

"He might've done something worse than us to get the first spot," Hakai added.

"Man... I still don't get it. Why did you bring me to join Heavenlys?" Jack asked.

Hakai turned to look at Jack, the weight of his words heavy in the air between them. He didn't answer immediately, instead choosing to watch as a distant cloud drifted lazily across the sky outside.

"It must be the place where we should belong to," Hakai finally said.

"What?" Jack asked, confused.

Hakai glanced at Jack, his eyes darkening with memories. "Do you remember the day Alan came to destroy our clan?"

Jack's eyes narrowed as the memories came rushing back. He clenched his fists, his heart beating slightly faster. He could still hear the echo of destruction, the screams of his fallen comrades.

"Yes," Jack confirmed.

Hakai continued, his voice low. "You remember what he did, right?"

"Oh, yeah... I remember," Jack said, his jaw tightening before he shook his head, trying to cast the thought aside. "But that doesn't mean he's kind or friendly."

Hakai placed a hand on Jack's shoulder, his expression softening slightly. "Let's give it a try."

Jack looked at him, confused. "Try what?"

Hakai sighed. "I somehow feel like I have some connection with this clan."

There was a brief moment of silence before Jack sighed in response. "Okay."

Just then, Yuki appeared silently beside them, her presence almost unnoticed at first. Her expression was soft, but her eyes carried the weight of something unresolved. Hakai, noticing her, spoke up.

"Hi... uh... Yu..." Hakai greeted.

"It's Yuki," he corrected.

"Ah, yes," Hakai said.

Jack stood up slowly, pushing himself away from the nearby pillar. His face was blank as if something heavy weighed on his mind. "Well, you guys have fun. I've got some work to do."

As Jack began walking away, Yuki's voice called out to him, halting him in his tracks. "Jack."

Jack stopped but didn't turn around, remaining rigid as he waited for him to speak.