ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 252

ᴘᴇᴀᴋᴡᴇsᴛ: ᴛs | 𝐀𝐬𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

____________________________________

[ Year: 2025 ]

The Peakwest was bustling with more people than usual. The clans had multiplied, and the streets were filled with energy. Among the crowd, a girl walked with three boys, her eyes observing the busy scenery.

Yuta stretched his arms wide. "It’s a good day today. Everything looks so peaceful."

Yumi, walking beside him, barely glanced at him. "Not really."

Yuta blinked, confused. "Wha—"

"I mean, it's beautiful more than peaceful," Yumi interrupted.

Kunal raised an eyebrow. "Don’t both of those mean the same thing, bruh?"

Yumi shook her head. "There’s always a difference between beauty and peace, and kindness."

Kunal scratched his head, puzzled. "What does that even mean?"

Yumi’s tone turned soft but thoughtful. "Beauty can be a trap. It’s not always pure. Peace can be a trap, too—it just brings comfort. But kindness, true kindness, that’s never a trap—unless it’s fake."

Yuta groaned. "Why are you talking like that today? No one understands what you mean."

Yumi waved him off. "It’s nothing."

Kunal leaned in closer. "Yumi… Are you okay?"

Yumi flashed a small smile. "Yeah, I’m fine."

Jacob, who had been silent until now, chimed in with a teasing smirk. "Are you worried about something related to our clan?"

Yumi scoffed. "Worried? About XF? XF is perfect."

Jacob raised an eyebrow. "You’re working on recruiting more members, right?"

Yumi nodded. "Yeah."

"So, aren’t you worried?"

Yumi shrugged. "Totally not. Why would I be? Everything has its time. And I know that time is going to be... beautiful."

Jacob rolled his eyes. "Oh, whatever, bro."

As their conversation continued, a boy walking past them accidentally bumped into Yumi, causing the bag of vegetables he was carrying to spill onto the ground.

Yumi immediately raised her hand, ready to slap him. But the boy turned around, and something in his eyes made her freeze. She hesitated, her hand trembling in the air.

"I'm... sorry," the boy, Esme, muttered, his voice soft.

Before anyone could react, Kunal moved toward Esme, ready to attack.

"Wait! Wait!" Esme raised his hands defensively. "I didn’t see you guys there. It was an accident."

Kunal’s fists clenched, but before he could do anything, Yumi grabbed his arm, stopping him.

Esme exhaled in relief. "Ah, thank you…"

Yumi nodded. "It’s okay."

Esme quickly bent down to pick up the scattered vegetables, but Yumi knelt beside him.

"Wait," she said gently. "Don’t worry about it. It was my mistake. Let me help."

Esme shook his head. "No, it’s okay. I’ve got it."

"No, really," Yumi insisted, her hand brushing against his as they gathered the vegetables.

Yuta, watching the scene, felt a surge of anger rising inside him but said nothing.