43~ I thought I lost you

"What of Faruk, who you risked your life for? Were you able to get him?"

"Yes, he has been arrested and he would be charged to life imprisonment."

"And does that give you the right to jump into the water?!" She snapped.

"I'm sorry."

"I thought... I lost you." Her voice cracked as she mumbled close to tears.

"You didn't, Habibti. I'm here."

"Did you think of me? Did you think of us before recklessly risking your life... Do you even have an idea of how it feels like to lose you?!"

"I'm sorry, calm down... Habibti."

"You have no idea right?! Well, let me tell you this, it feels unbearable. I lost you in the past, and I swear to God it nearly killed me, my heart suffered, Najib, I don't wish to go through that pain again, please don't make me go through that again... She says bursting into tears.

"I'm sorry, I never meant to hurt you, you know how much I love you...

"I know you love me, Najib, you don't need to remind me of that, I just want you to understand that whatever affects you affects me more... So please you need to stay safe and alive for me. If anything bad happens to you, I might die, I mean it...

"Don't say that Habibti, don't ever."

"But it's true, that's how I feel, Najib, I nearly died just now."

"I know how you feel, but still never say that, you have so much life to live, with or without me."

"But I can't imagine that life without you, it feels meaningless, empty and dead."

Softly, holding her face close to his, he kissed her tears and stared deeply into her teary eyes.

"You know how much I hate seeing these tears, right? And I'm not going anywhere Habibti, I'm here now, tomorrow and forever, we both will face everything together, good or bad."

"Promise me."

"I promise you with every fibre in me."

***

Nanny Ann had to rush Hanan to the hospital the moment she collapsed into her arms. She was crying profusely when the doctor told her not to worry and that it was an anxiety attack that made Hanan faint. However, she would be hospitalized so they would monitor her as she was still unconscious, but Nanny Ann couldn't stop crying and worrying.

She sat beside her on the hospital bed watching her unconscious face curled in fear and anxiety.

The terror and fear of being kidnapped were visible on her tense face. The little Nanny Ann could do is to take Hanan's hand into hers while rubbing and praying that she regain consciousness soon.

But she didn't, minutes turned hours, but Hanan was still lying like a breathless statue.

Nanny Ann had called Abdul and Najib severally, but they never picked up any of her calls, which made her Understand that they were busy. Najib had risked his life a few hours back just to get Faruk arrested.

"Hanan dear, please open your eyes. I believe you are in this condition because you think you lost Najib. But he is fine, he is hale and hearty, so please wake up." She says, crying while her tears stream out.

***

In the company of Mr Charles, Najib drove to the airport to catch the next flight leaving for France when he got a call from his uncle, at first he ignored the call as he assumed his uncle was just going to scold him for getting back with Habiba, after all, his son, Faruk's wedding with Habiba was just tomorrow and because of him the wedding is called off, for good.