29

Over the several years that Wangji and Wuxian have been away, Lan Qiren has been dealing with some inner turmoil. He had the truth of Wuxian's past due to the small interrogation session. Because of Xichen, Wangji had left the sect and disappeared. Lan Qiren had been upset ever since. He hid the pain from Xichen as he felt there was something off about him.

Over the years he noticed Xichen spending more time with Jin Guangyao. Lan Qiren felt that boy had some problems. With him being the new sect leader of the Jin Sect, he felt there was just something peculiarly odd about everything leading up to that. He just couldn't quite place it.

As he sat there at his desk in his personal home, he heard a knock, "come in," he said. He was in a bit of shock when he saw that it was Wangji and Wuxian, "you two are okay?"

Wangji nodded, "we are, we have been together training for what is to come. We came to discuss some things with you...Privately."

Lan Qiren placed a ward around the room as the two sat down at the table with him. He even prepared fresh tea, "this is nice, this tea is very refreshing," Wuxian said, "but why is it purplish blue?"

"It's Butterfly pea flower tea. It eases stress and enhances memory, it's a very unique and it was a gift from Baoshan. She stopped in a few times while you two were away," he said.

"She would have interesting teas," Wuxian said, "and about everything going on, I'm sorry."

"I am not blaming you, Wuxian. None of this is on you. You were just doing what cultivators were supposed to do," Lan Qiren said, "it is you who we owe an apology to. You lost the most out of all of us."

Wuxian nodded, "I did, but I gained an amazing support group. Baoshan and Lan Zhan have been very supportive and helpful. Baoshan has been looking into everything while Lan Zhan and I were in seclusion. We have been away for several years training and gained immortality. We are going to use these newfound skills to help find the real culprits behind it all. We wanted to stop by and see you first as there has been a lot happening in the meantime...we heard about Sect Leader Jin and Chifeng Zun."

"Sect Leader Jin, I wasn't too surprised to be honest. He had a lot of problems and it was only going to come back to him eventually. I am, however, very surprised by Chifeng Zun. It is said to be a Qi Deviation but since his body is missing, we can't investigate it further," Lan Qiren said.

"We will be speaking with Nie Huaisang soon about this too. We want to know his situation. Baoshan, Lan Zhan and I were talking too. We have been pointing out a suspect but we need proof. We think Jin Guangyao has something to do with all this. We just can't figure out what," Wuxian explained.

"I told Wei Ying that it was Jin Guangyao who asked me to invite him to Jin Ling's ceremony. We don't think it's a coincidence that both Jin Heirs showed up and were killed. They put that blame on Wei Ying but we performed empathy on him and there are a few things we noticed," Wangji said.

Lan Qiren was surprised to hear his quiet youngest nephew speak so much, but he was glad about it, "tell me," he said.

"First, I even picked up on this, the area was cleansed of resentment. I did have Wen Ning so he was the only source I had. I was too lost in shock but Lan Zhan and Baoshan heard a second flute alter Chenqing. We discussed that with the two heirs dead, it put Jin Guangyao right in line for head heir. We think if Jin Guangshan had any other illegitimate children, Jin Guangyao would get rid of them to eliminate the threat of losing that position. Luckily, Jin Ling is with Jiang Wanyin," Wuxian explained, "there was also the fact that that same flute appeared during Nightless City. Some took my control away."

"It only makes sense for that to be the case," Lan Qiren said, "I will have some people secretly looking into Jin Guangyao. I want you to continue with your plan to meet with Nie Huaisang."

"Shufu...about Xiongzhang?" Wangji questioned, "we think he is in danger being around Jin Guangyao too much. Brother could be manipulated."

"I am afraid of that myself but he will not listen to me," Lan Qiren said.

"We will do what we can to help," Wuxian reassured him, "May we come back when we have information?"

"You can return whenever you like," Lan Qiren said, "I am glad you are both alright."

"Can you keep it a secret that we are out for now? It will help us investigate this matter a bit more discreetly," Wuxian suggested.

"Of course," Lan Qiren said.

Wangji hugged his uncle, which is something that never happens. It was something the two needed, "I will be back," Wangji assured him.

Lan Qiren nodded and let them go. He was glad to see them. He was going to try and find more evidence to what Wuxian and Wangji found out.

Wuxian and Wangji teleported to the empty room they reserved in Qinghe. It was near where they'd be seeing Nie Huaisang. They'd be meeting him in a few days so they were a bit early. They didn't mind though.

"It seems your Shufu is doing what he can to hold himself together," Wuxian said as the two sat down at their table in their room. They ordered dinner and a bath to be prepared so they were just waiting.

"He is doing what he can," Wangji said, "it seems he too, noticed something about Xiongzhang's behavior."

"We will do what we can to help your brother, but in the end, it will be on him to do the right thing," Wuxian said as he took Wangji's hand, "I am here for you through this, just as you are here for me."

Wangji nodded and smiled at him, "we need to know everything that is going on," he said.

"We will," Wuxian reassured him, "I'm just glad I have you with me. I don't know what I would do without you."

"Need Wei Ying too," Wangji said and kissed him.

Wuxian wrapped his arms around Wangji's neck to prevent him from pulling away too soon. Kissing this man was a luxury and he was going to enjoy it. Ever so sweet and had a bit of a wild feeling about it. Wangji pulled the man to his lap and held him closely. They were interrupted once by one of the maidens of the inn to inform them their food was ready and their water was ready too.

The two ate and got lost in each other again. This time, they couldn't keep their hands off each other. During their moments of passion they "accidentally" broke the bathtub. They paid for the damage and ended up in a new room due to the water getting everywhere. They did go back to making love not long after that. Placing a silencing talisman on the walls to keep from disturbing others.